Fuel mileage is terrible

I recently purchased a 1992 gmc pickup with a 6.2 diesel I cant figure out why the mileage is so poor. This is my third 6.2 and by far the worst.BTW,the vac. pump was bad so I replaced it and the MAP sensor.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.10 mpg is not going to get it.

Reply to
rick

Just a thought, pull the injectors and have them pop tested, and, check the compression, and check the timing.

Does it start quickly with no excess smoke??? When under heavy acceleration do you get any black smoke??

I always ran about 10 degrees on my 6.2 and it improved the mileage considerably. Just be grateful you don't have the DS series (all electronic) pump. The DB2 is much easier to work with.

George Vigner> I recently purchased a 1992 gmc pickup with a 6.2 diesel I cant figure out

Reply to
George Vigneron

One other thing, if you can find someone with the proper adaptor for a timing light, check to see if the timing is advancing as rpm's come up. The DB2 pump can stick the advance piston if the fuel has not been kept scrupulously clean, ie.. water in fuel.

George Vigner> I recently purchased a 1992 gmc pickup with a 6.2 diesel I cant figure out

Reply to
George Vigneron

acceleration do

Reply to