ford escort diesel van fuel consumption

hi i have recently bought a ford escort diesel van after my petrol model was stolen. i always believed that you got good fuel consumption from a diesel engine. my van is a 1.8litre non turbo version. it is a 1999 model and only done

51,000 miles its ex royal mail and always been serviced. in traffic i am getting aprox 26 to the gallon. and on a run at around 50-60 mph i am getting 36 mpg. is this about normal for this model or has anyone got any ideas regards andy
Reply to
andy

Sounds like it needs a air filter, or maybe you've got a ton in the back? steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

It is IMO unusually horrible incarnations of a Diesel engine that ended up in escort vans, but the fuel consumption should be much better than that.

Make sure its not leaking diesel from the flow or return lines and that you've got clean air and fuel filters.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You won't get the same economy as an Escort diesel of the same age because vans tend to have lower gearing, but even so 26 sounds poor. Check for binding brakes (hot wheels after a drive), dirty air filter, or excessive smoking from the exhaust when revved. Injector cleaner may help if it's been used mainly for short start-stop journeys.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Are you sure you dont have a leak , flat tyres or dragging brakes, or a bloody big roof rack on it?!

The 1.8 DE isnt regarded for its brilliant mpg (well not regarded for at all actually) but you should be getting middle 30's in town and perhaps 45mpg on a run.

Whats the starting and general running like? (possibility of timing belt slipped one tooth...)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Reply to
andy

Depends if you drive it with your foot hard down everywhere.

My mate has a M reg non turbo Ford Transit LWB High Top. He did a 300 mile run and used about 3/4 tank of diesel. He got a mate to do the same run two weeks later and that guy used a tank and a quarter.

Reply to
Conor

So you are heavy footed..

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
andy

Sounds in good order to me- they are sluggish and 90 or so on the clock is about top speed.

Re-check your mpg calculations over acouple of tankfuls..?!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.