fuel pump noise

just bought a 98 Chevrolet W/T 1500 pickup. noticed there is an annoying whinning noise coming from the fuel pump. I saw an earlier post where others have had trouble with this same thing. Is this a GM problem or can I fix the problem by replacing the pump?

Reply to
Olmazey

It's not uncommon to hear it prime the fuel line when you turn the ignition switch, but its usually its drowned out once its running. It's my experience that when it goes it goes and leaves you high and dry.

RC

Reply to
RC

The fuel pump on my 1999 K1500 wines constantly, even after started. I took it to a mechanic that I know and trust. He said "gee you have a quite one!"

It's very common to here the pump on that era of Chevy truck.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

It's when you don't hear it when the problems arise. That pump is $275~$350 just for the parts. The tank must be removed to replace it.

Reply to
Hank

"Olmazey" wrote: > just bought a 98 Chevrolet W/T 1500 pickup. noticed there is > an annoying > whinning noise coming from the fuel pump. I saw an earlier > post where > others have had trouble with this same thing. Is this a GM > problem or can > I fix the problem by replacing the pump?

This noise is common from GM vehicles. Yes you can cure the noise most likely by replacing the pump, though I would not suggest it. The GM pump for your truck is in the 400.00 - 450.00 price range so is a spendy cure for a noise...not only that but you would have to drop the fuel tank out of the truck as the pump is in the tank. I would just deal with the noise unless the pump were to completely fail. Just cause it is making noise does not neccessarily mean it is going to fail either. Hope this helps you out!

nick

Reply to
NickHanson
89 s10 4.3 275,000 miles original Fuel pump!

SID wrote:

Reply to
no one

That's a quick way to make enemies out of those of us who changed the fuelpump when it gave up the ghost early...dang thing was a bear to replace...even two gallons in the reserve is heavy when dropping the tank (of course a 1 ton jack was used to bring 'er down) not to mention the wobbly tank effect when that two gallons gets to sloshing around why you're doing a Barnum & Bailey balancing act with it!

Congrats on the long lasting pump! I wish the same fortune on you all.

Reply to
Bob Truck

When And If the pump goes out, I will Do like My 85 year old Uncle Did.. CUT A HOLE IN THE TRUCK BED and Change the pump.. Make a Plate to Go over The HOLE !! Whatever happened to using a TRUCK for what it was made for.. HAUL TRASH, SCRACTH the Bed up. DENT it up! A truck was made to be a WORK vehicle. If you are Not going to use a Truck as a Truck Then you shud have Boughten a CAR !

I bought my Truck to Have it MAKE MONEY for me, NOT for SHOW !!

Reply to
no one

Reply to
<info

My 98 Silverado?s fuel pump has made noise since I bought it in 2000. 122,000 miles and it?s still working fine. It?s annoying, but when I found out what it costs to change it I decided to deal with it.

Reply to
hescop