Leaking fuel lift pump - 300Tdi??

I've a drip under the 300 which seems to be coming from the fuel (diesel) lift pump.

Is this a regular problem and is there a fix rather than replacing the pump? Seals gone? Can the pump be dismantled?

I found one post on the subject and the pump sounds as if it's expensive. Well, it would be, wouldn't it?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

In article , Derry Argue writes

Derry

Are you talking about a Defender or Discovery?

On a disco it is a very common fault due to a pipe being too short and the pump fractures as a result of be pulled on by the short pipe. this is fixed by fitting a new pump and a modified pipe that has a "pigs tail" in it.

On a Defender this does not happen due to the filter being in a different place.

The pump is a sealed unit and cannot be overhauled.

Land Rover often go short of these lift pumps, so much so that I keep a shelf full of pattern parts to supply the main agents when they cannot get any.

Before you condemn the pump check all the pipes above it especially the fuel return rail from the injectors. These often chafe on the rubber rocker cover cover. It could be that a pipe has just worked loose.

Hope this helps

Reply to
marc