fuel pump noise

Hello,

I have a 1983 240 GL SW with 170k on it and, lately, I noticed a noise from the fuel pump in the tank when I have < 1/3 gas. What could be the cause?

Also when the pump is noisy the car has a hard time starting, but still runs quite well.

Is the pump inside the tank reasonably easy to fix? Could it just be one of the O-Rings in the system? Do I need to change the fuel pump? How do I access it?

Thanks, Marco.

Reply to
Marco Rolandi

When the gas is low, the pump is exposed, therefore easier to hear. The normal problem with this pump is failure of the short hose that connects the pump discharge to the fuel line. When the accordion shaped hose fails the external pump receives gas and air (foam). That is not good for the external pump. The in tank pump is cheep. Get a replacement from your local parts house. Change the pump and filter sock. Use plain fuel line hose to connect it. Don't make any sparks!!! You may just save the expensive pump. I replaced the tank pump on my 86 240 when it got noisy at about 200K mi. I never replaced the external pump.

Do it soon, meanwhile keep the tank over 1/2 full.

Good luck Al

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts