Hood braces

I've seen X shaped hood braces on older cars, the welds on the hood of my 86

1/2 ton are all popped, and the hood is kind of floaty. LMC Truck sells some brackets, but they're just a couple of pieces of channel that run partway down each side, nothing that goes across. Do they work for floppy hoods?

-JD

Reply to
John D

ShoeSalesman

If you mean that the hood skin is loose from the frame that is an easy thing to fix. The "welds" your seeing are only glue spots. If you want to repair it just buy a small tube of liquid nails adhesive and some wax and grease remover. Wipe down the hood brace/skin areas good and then just apply a small squirt of glue to the spots next to the old ones. Work fast on a cool day then toss some large heavier soft objects on the hood to hold the skin down (I use a few old wool blankets) you don't need a LOT of weight, just enough to make sure the glue bonds. Let it set for 12-24 hours and your done.

Reply to
Steve W.