How much should I pay??

I looked at a 94 S-10 extended cab, V6, auto, ps, pb, ac. The engine has water in the oil so will need to be rebuilt either partially or fully. The truck otherwise seems in good to excellent shape at

109,000 miles. A engine rebuilder says he can do a rebuild for $2300 all parts and labor.

So at what price is this truck worth buying?? Blue book, if nothing were wrong with it, seems to be around $3500 to $4000 here in Phoenix.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

A good rule of thumb is... If it won't start when you turn the ignition key, don't buy it.

Reply to
Bubba Rubba

"Ashton Crusher" sez:

I'd offer salvage value ... call a few local boneyards to find out what that my be. If you decide that the project just isn't worth it, you can dump it for the salvage value and be out little more than your time and/or aggravation.

Good speculatin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Offer them a couple of hundred dollars at most. That's if you are willing to fool around putting an engine into it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

One yard kept wanting to get me to name a price so I said $1500. They said they'd give me $200. Another yard was a whole lot more helpful and gave me so tips on what might be wrong with the engine and looked up used engines in the area to give me a price for that. And said they thought it would be worth $600 to them if I wanted to scrap it. It's being sold at auction so I'll know tomorrow if it's worth buying. My guess is someone else will be willing to pay a whole lot more for it then I will.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

There's another deal just around the corner. If you pick it up for dirt, OK.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I agree on the 'better deal around the corner'! I passed up real nice bikes and found one bigger, cleaner, and less expensive! If something doesn't come up, God doesn't want you to have anything else right now!

Reply to
Shades

Well, they started it up even though they knew the engine was bad, and it started right up and make a very bad knocking sound, definitely had thrown a rod. I'll never understand why people pay what they do at these auctions. Earlier they sold a nice Blazer for $2700 with a sweet sounding engine. This, with the bad engine, went for $2400. I didn't even have to bid.....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher