Tire Pressure Question

My Sierra 1500 Reg cab short box has tires that say "Max 50psi." What should I be running in them? When I checked they were at 28psi.

Thanks in advance, MZ

Reply to
MZ

Robert Ball

the door jam has stock wheel and tire info. what kind of tire and wheel package are you running?

Reply to
smoove

Tire pressure is proportional to load and 28 sounds a bit light especaily for front end in a empty P/U. No need top run max pressure up front though you should with a heavy load in rear. Also higher air pressure enhances MPG due to decreased rolling resistance.

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks,

I pumped it up to about 47psi all the way around and noticed that the fr>>My Sierra 1500 Reg cab short box has tires that say "Max 50psi." > What

Reply to
MZ

that's because the front of the truck is heavier than an empty rear.

47psi is a bit high.. I'd run them at 35psi.. it should give you the best ride and tire wear for a 1/2 ton.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

And you don't have to keep the front and rear at the same pressures. What's right for the front may not be right for the rear. I keep my rear tires around 30 and my front around 33 or 35. 30 for the rear is a bit high for my truck (2000 S-10 ZR2).

Reply to
Mike Levy

Open driver side door, read tag. If not there, open fuel door.

50 psi is max for max weight load.

Usually 35psi

Reply to
Kenner Costen

On my K3500 I run 55 or so in front (80PSI rated) and 40 in rear when not loaded. In the winter when a plow is on it and back is loaded I run 65 PSI all around with 65psi rated mud/snow tires on it.

Reply to
SnoMan