How to stop rust?

I have a place on my 2002 Z71 that is showing rust. It has traveled about 2' below my driver door line. HOW do you STOP rust from traveling. I did take a cutting wheel and cut a line about a foot awayand above.
it has got on part of the frame under the door panel. Will you share some ideals on what I need to do. I'm trying to do it cheap, I got cut back at work 3 days a week. money pretty tight.
Hi!

2' below

Is there any chance you might still be under the warranty for corrosion/rust through?
Even if you're just out of it, pleading your case at a dealership might get you somewhere.

You have to get rid of all the rust, or it will just keep on traveling. Any exposed metal will have to be painted or it too will rust. There are paints that are sold for the purpose of encapsulating rust and protecting metal.
William
-I have a place on my 2002 Z71 that is showing rust. It has traveled about 2' below my driver door line. -HOW do you STOP rust from traveling. I did take a cutting wheel and cut a line about a foot awayand above. -it has got on part of the frame under the door panel.- -Will you share some ideals on what I need to do. I'm trying to do it cheap, I got cut back at work 3 days a week.- -money pretty tight.
I have had real good results using a brush on product call Duro Extend. I think it has been bought by Loctite, and is now being sold as Loctite Extend. It is a thick, brushable coating that encapsulates the rust and seems to convert it to a black primer.
I had a pu with a bed liner for about 10 years, that almost rusted through in several places. I brushed all the loose rust, flushed with water, and dried in the sun. Coated it with Extend and even many years later, the rust had not returned.
Jack Valance wrote:

If you can get it cleaned up good first (wire brush or sandblaster) Rustoleum rusty red primer does a pretty good job -- even if you never get around to top-coating it <g> You can use sandable gray automotive primer over the red primer once you let it dry/harden thoroughly.
Is the rust coming thru from the back side of the panels? I'm not sure you can do much about that.
Bob

Based on where you live and drive, there may not be much you can do. In the western NY area, they salt roads a bit too much. Even with car washes, and under body washes, the vehicles continue to rust.
Talk to the auto body shops near you. See what they use.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus