I'm getting 16 MPG . can this be right ?

I bought myself a used 1999 chevy S10 and I love everything about it except it's sucking up gas like crazy. It's an automatic with the 2.2 liter engine. I thought it would be economical but it's not. I'm getting 300 miles or so from a tank (18 gals) The dealer had told me he gave it a recent tuneup. Should I try to get this remedied or is this as good a it gets? What's the most likely cause of poor gas mileage, O2 sensor? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
John

2 wd or 4 wd? Sounds low for 2 wd. I've got an 89 4.3L auto and it gets 19 in mixed driving. At work a 4x4 4.3L gets about 15 on a good day.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It's a 2WD . Should be more economical I think. At this rate I can't really use it every day.

Reply to
John

EPA estimate is 23 city, 29 highway so something is wrong. Have you done a basic tune up including filters, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor (if it has a distributor)?

Reply to
Ed H.

How are you driving it? Stomp and Go? That number is VERY low unless you towing or driving with a heavy load. The 2002 4.3 4X4 Blazer I have gets over 20 around town.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hi John,

On a 2000 Blazer, since new, we have averaged 18.96 mpg while driving 70,739 miles. Looking over the spreadsheet of the calculation it appears that on the highway the range is 23-24 mpg and the city driving is 14-15.

Charlie

Reply to
Charles L Bachman

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:33:48 -0500, Steve W. got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Yeah, my '95 Jimmy 4.3 got 16 MPG only when the injectors were clogged. Other than that I got roughly 20 MPG.

My '06 Avalanche 5.3 gets 18-21 MPG, and it weighs at least 3,000 lbs more than your truck.

I'd say you either have an engine issue or really are driving crazy. :P

Reply to
PerfectReign

23/29 is for a 2.2L with manual transmission, the 2.2L with an auto transmission is much lower. My 2000 was an extended cab and the most I could get was 21mpg.
Reply to
Eugene