Keeping brake dust off rims

So what is the best way to keep brake dust off your nice rims? Best cleaning product? Anyone tried the plastic inserts that go between the brake and wheel?

Reply to
Todd Copeland

the smart ass answers would be... 1. don't stomp on the brake all the time and 2. buy better pads. I've never tried the plastic inserts, but Simple Green and a tire brush will do wonders.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

They make aluminum inserts that withstand the heat better, and if you paint them, the paint will not crack off. I have had decent luck with them, but I found that the best way to combat brake dust is a set of higher quality pads. The $16 set at Advance just pumps out more dust than the $30 Raymold (Raybestos) pair... For cleaning.....pick one...they all do about the same if you follow the directions...

in my "monkey ass"opinion and experience.

8upman
Reply to
Eightupman

For cleaning.....pick one...they all do about the same if you follow the directions...

in my "monkey ass"opinion and experience.

8upman ====== ====== what he said...ditto

marsh ~:~

Reply to
Scrib Abell

I have tryed the aluminum ones from pep-boys. They are allready black and they work great on my son's honda car. We even went so far as to silicon the cracks after the first trial run let the dust leak through a little. We were kinda leary about the brakes getting a little extra hot but no problems so far. In fact we just got another pair because it was time for a tire rotation and decided to leave them on the now rear wheels. Anyway, so far, so good.

Reply to
Scott M

When I bought my '96 K1500, It had a bad problem with brake dust. I bought the highest quality pads in town ($45 I think) and that ended that problem..

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Try ceramic pads, they seem to do the job for me.

Reply to
How can I be down