Learn mode??

Any way to induce this on my 95 GMC (3/4 ton 6.5L td) ??? other than taking it to a GMC/Chevy shop and having them use the Tech I computer on my ECM??

Thanks,

George

Reply to
George Vigneron

. . . disconnect the battery negative cable.... drink a Budweiser...or smoke a doobie... or have a couple hits of shroom juice...

that ought to be long enough..now reconnect the battery cable.

If the truck runs like sheet....deal with it.... you caused it by putting the system in relearn on a high mileage, non-maintained, vehical.

but not to worry.... all will be well after about 20 drive cycles or 2 hours of heavy city driving.

scrib abell ~:~suggests some down time on the weird high you jest gave yerself.....before the test drive~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Learn mode?? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Oct 21, 2003, 7:34am From: snipped-for-privacy@gbronline.com (George=A0Vigneron) Any way to induce this on my 95 GMC (3/4 ton 6.5L td) ??? other than taking it to a GMC/Chevy shop and having them use the Tech I computer on my ECM?? Thanks, George

Reply to
Scrib Abell

George,

Like Scrib said, disconnect the battery cable for 30 seconds (or pull the ECM fuse). When you fire her back up, she'll be in learining mode per se. Drive it easy for the first 10 miles or so, after that she's all learned up.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks guys,

Just for clarification. I just changed the injection pump and the ecm needs to go into learn mode to calculate a new tdc offset. I pulled the ecm totally out of the car (sat it on the passenger seat) while I changed the pump. Then I put it back in and cranked it up. Can't say that it ran rotten or not. Just checking to see if that was sufficient.

What else does a 6.5 turbo diesel need to learn??

I will put it on my buddy's Cornwell monitor 4000E and check to see what new tdc offset it calculated.

George

\"Doc\" wrote:

Reply to
George Vigneron

. . Re: Learn mode?? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Oct 21, 2003, 6:38pm From: snipped-for-privacy@gbronline.com (George=A0Vigneron)

Thanks guys, Just for clarification. I just changed the injection pump and the ecm needs to go into learn mode to calculate a new tdc offset. I pulled the ecm totally out of the car (sat it on the passenger seat) while I changed the pump. Then I put it back in and cranked it up. Can't say that it ran rotten or not. Just checking to see if that was sufficient.

What else does a 6.5 turbo diesel need to learn??

I will put it on my buddy's Cornwell monitor 4000E and check to see what new tdc offset it calculated. George =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

the "adaptive" (learn) programing is there to compensate for wear and tear on the engine compression, ignition components, fuel ratio, transmission shift strategies... throttle angles, vacume, engine load,

and others that fail me at the moment....

basically....the truck is programed to drive like you want it to.....untill something gets to the point that the computer tells you..."go fark yerself, yer ask'n too much".. then the ole lightbulb fires up telling you to fix a problem that the system can't compensate for any longer. When you unhook the power..aka..clear the memory........the system is restarted to factory specs for a new vehical, and the puter don't know you got a 9 year old truck. Which is why you "may" have had a rough idle after first hooking the battery cable back up. But you didn't....so that's a sign that you keep up on your maintenance of the engine.

simply put.,,that's what it does.

marsh ~:~

Reply to
Scrib Abell

Re: Learn mode??

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Oct 21, 2003, 6:38pm From: snipped-for-privacy@gbronline.com (George Vigneron)

[...]

////////////////////////////////////////////

Just a technicality, diesels don't HAVE an ignition system.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks Doc and Scrib,

I knew most of that stuff but you filled in some gaps. I am much more at home with normally aspirated gas engines having built a few drag cars in the distant past. The concept of a computer controlling my diesel irks me but that is the way things are now. My "old" 6.2 in a 84 Suburban was much simpler.

Yeah, you are right Doc, no ignition to deal with.

I built my own home made heat sink to get the PMD up out of the heat box. Running a number 9 calibration resistor. Added a boost gauge too. Next will be a larger exhause then a EGT so when I add the propane injection I will know what is happening. I'll let you know when it goes..kaaabooooom.

George

\"Doc\" wrote:

Reply to
George Vigneron