left headlight only works when beams are set to high

befroe you start taking things apart, clean the contacts on the connector that goes to the light its self. Thats usually where the problem is. if its in realy bad shape just replace the connector. Wire cutters and electrical tape . good luck

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

seeray28

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

seeray28

I have a ?93 Chevrolet Blazer. After all these years I?m just now becoming interested in all things related to vehicle upkeep and maintenance and troubleshooting. When I set the beams to high, both headlights work. When I dim them, only the right headlight works. I just bought a new set of headlights tonight, and am having the same problem as before. What could this be? I read somewhere that the dim switch can go bad or have a bad connection, but I can?t figure out how to get the dim switch assembly removed from the steering column. The only thing I?ve been able to figure out so far (it?s 1:30AM and it?s

25 degrees or so outside...brrrrr...) is how to remove the plastic covering from around the steering column lever (the one that lowers and raises the steering wheel). I don?t know what to do next. Also, I?m not sure if this is all related or not, but the only thing that works on the digital dashboard is the speedometer (which is off by 2-3mph) and an ABS light that constantly stays on. The odometer works intermittently (with lots of flickering), otherwise it?s replaced by some "Error" message. I?ve not been able to figure out where the wiring is located for the dashboard, and all the wiring underneat the steering column and the fuse box is hanging loose. This is the only vehicle we have, we can?t afford to lose this buggar.
Reply to
brudjazz

First, its not your dimmer switch. It does change from low to high beam. The problem is with your left headlight. The plug on the back of the headlight has three wires. A ground, high beam, and low beam. Your truck is getting old. Check for a poor connection at the plug, or a broken wire. Your dimmer switch is not inside your steering column. Its near the bottom of the column (inside the truck) and is operated by a rod from the turn signal lever. Its possible to have a poor connection at the switch but your problem is more likely at the back of the headlight itself. If you can't find it, I would suggest that you might need a mechanic.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

George

I assume you checked the fuses? There should be separate fused for right hi, right lo, left hi, and left lo. But I'm not familiar with the vehicle, due to age it could be wiring related at the light itself.

Reply to
Brian

Sounds like the melting plug problem in my 90 GMC f/s Jimmy. Did the plugs look OK?

GMC Gremlin

GMC Gremlin

A broken ground wire on the headlamp affected could cause the problem as well. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I went over to Ebay and typed in both of the following strings in their search engine, and only got back one result. Something about a Corvette circuit board.

Digital Dash board digital dash board

When my wife gets home I?ll pull out that headlamp and clean off the plug?s prongs. Anybody know where I can get a Chilton?s (or maybe Haynes, because I read somewhere that they were better than Chilton?s) manual for a ?93 Chevrolet Blazer? I?d like a manual that has the full wiring schematic of the vehicle, and another manual that has goes into full detail about how everything else to do with that vehicle: engine, chassis, body, interior, stereo system, etc.

As soon as we can get another vehicle, this is going to be my toy for awhile

Reply to
brudjazz

from frame rail to radiator support. Run a jumper from engine block [ head ] to firewall . This simple trick could save you a bundle in fried electronics, as well as possibly fixing the problem. Use a test light to check for voltage, be sure test light is well grounded, and lights at at least one plug terminal.

Reply to
451ctds