Location of dim/dip resistor in a '95 Peugeot 106

Can anybody tell me where the dim/dip resistor is located in a Peugeot 106?

Any advice on how to replace the resistor or how to bypass it would also be appreciated.

My dipped beam headlights do not work but sidelights and full beam headlights do work and the dashboard lights correspond with the setting I have set the headlight switch to so I think I can rule out blown bulbs/fuses or a faulty headlight switch which leaves the dim/dip resistor as a likely culprit.

Cheers for any help

Andy

Reply to
Andy B

If there is a resistor it'll be wired in parallel, so that's not your problem. Did you check the bulbs?

John

Reply to
John

Resistor? Why would there be any need for a resistor? Usualy headlights have two filimant bulbs, or two seperate bulbs, and a relay to switch or the other on. But no resistor in any car I've ever worked on!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

The message from "Alan" contains these words:

For some years UK (and some other) cars had a system which ran the headlights at low power if sidelights were on with the engine running. This was to stop wazzocks driving about on sidelights at night. It was often done with a resistor - though some systems used a chopper.

Reply to
Guy King

How the hell did they fit that in an engine bay?

Reply to
Conor

was only a little Raleigh lol(ok spelt wrong i know)

Reply to
Neil

The message from Conor contains these words:

Crash 'em hard enough and you can fit a helicopter into almost anything.

Reply to
Guy King

My chopper won't fit in the engine bay either

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

Oh, god, another internet axeman!

Reply to
Guy King

How many 106s? Or 306s for that matter?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

If your dipped headlights (the full brilliance ones) don't work then the fault can't be the dim dip resistor, as this is only used for producing a dimmed headlight by being wired in series with the bulb, and in the full dip mode it should be shorted out by a switch or relay contact in parallel with the resistor. There was so much wiring involved on dim dip systems that reduced brilliance on the normal dip position was a problem. I measured 1 volt loss at the bulb contacts due to all the wiring on a 1994 Primera so I shorted it all out with a direct link from chassis to the bulb wiring (the more negative end) to get brighter headlights, removing it a MOT time so the dim dip worked properly.

Reply to
SteveB

dont know about your 106 mate but the dim dip resistor in my citroen a gti is between the headlights in front of the radiator and fixed to th back of the grille,would think the 106 is the same,although i doubt it the resistor,i have the same problem on my ax gti and have trie allsorts,checked the bulbs,relays,fuses and switch,last to go is t check the entire lot of wiring for bad earths or connections if tha doesnt reveal anything am gonna give up and let an auto electricia find the problem..

-- siskorhodes

Reply to
siskorhodes

siskorhodes ( snipped-for-privacy@autobanter.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

(About a year previously)

Just rip the whole bloody dimdip lot out - there's no MOT requirement for dimdip to be fitted or to work if it is.

Dim Dip? Dim Idea.

Reply to
Adrian
[...]

Sorry to disagree, but I think it was an excellent idea.

You could use sufficient light to mark your presence clearly without causing dazzle. It also stopped the idiots who think it's OK to use sidelights when lights are called for during the day.

It was only the fact that the UK was unable to persuade the EU of its value that it was dropped.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Turning the correct lights on does all of those even better, without any of the problems that slapping DimDip on causes.

Reply to
Adrian

In your opinion, of course...

How does it reduce dazzle "even better"?

How do you make people use the correct lights? Dim dip took the decision out of their hands.

I had a number of cars with dim-dip. never had a problem with it. In point of fact it marginally improves the life of the headlight bulbs because for some of their life they are operating on reduced voltage.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If dip beam causes "dazzle", then you need to get your lights adjusted to a position where they will pass an MOT.

No, it didn't. It just gave them an excuse to use sidelights incorrectly. It did nothing to stop people driving around with no lights when lights were required, and added the ability to drive around with sidelights on for longer when dip was required.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Don't worry. Before long I reckon dim-dip or something like it will reemerge from Brussels or the US because gas discharge lamps are getting so bright and have such a sharp cut-off of beam pattern that they're not terribly good for in-town use.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It'd have to be either a brighter "sidelight" or an extra light, since it's not possible to "dim" HIDs.

I guess it'd be an 80s-Saab style 21w/5w dual filament white - 5w (side tail) for parking, 21w (indicator/brake) for DRL.

Reply to
Adrian

That depends entirely on how "dazzle" is defined.

But with dim dip fitted, it's impossible to drive on side lights!

?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan