loosing water from radiator 98 S10

my 98 S10 has started loosing water from the plastic bucket by the radiator. (or somewhere) as i cannot find a leak. Its not in the oil. It doesn't miss fire' Cannot see any leaks on ground after setting a while about a quart a day, but I know it will increase... Any known problems of this type tnx

Reply to
slld

It might help to know which engine it has

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

it has the big 4 cyl. ps pb auto air 107k miles

Reply to
slld

You state that it's loosing water _from_ the overflow container but this does not appear to be correct. I'm betting you mean that water is being lost somewhere so the radiator is drawing water from the container.

Your water pump might be failing. What it starts to fail there are small holes near the base of the mechanical fan that spit out water. It's difficult to see this at first as the fan blows it away from the area. Stop the engine and take a good look in this area to see if it's wet.

Reply to
todd

thank you for the info although I hope you are incorrect....

Reply to
slld

with the exception of a hose leaking the water pump is the easiest and cheapest thing to have to replace. Other possibilities are intake manifold, head gasket, radiator, freeze plugs. and of course with freeze plugs its never the easiest one to get to but rather the hardest most difficult one, that's O'Brians Law.

Whitelightning for those that don't know, O'Brian has but one law, Murphy was an optimist.

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to
wayne c

thank you still looking. I'm sure it will get worse and I can find it..

Reply to
slld