mice eat Chevys.

My buddy has a 2003 Silverado. Its been sitting for a couple weeks. It starts then shuts off. He got it towed. The dealer said mice crawled in a hole under the computer. Set up home and ate all the wiring.

They said its common. And the hole is big and cant be plugged. Or something will condensate and corrode.

He said its not a drain hole.

I cant find it anywhere. I cant find the computer actually.

Id like to make up a screen and put it on the hole.

I have lots of mice around here.

Any ideas where this is.

Diesel.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Unless you enclose the entire under hood compartment you would be wasting your time. Mice/rats/squirrels will take up residence under the hood of vehicles parked outside. The will eat the spark plug wires along with other wiring. They also like vacuum hoses! We live in a semi rural area and I have had damage to my '98 Chevy Lumina more than once.

Here is another one for you to worry about. On a cool August night in a MT RV park this past summer a cottontail rabbit crawled up into the fan shroud area of my Duramax to keep warm. The next morning when I started the engine the radiator fan hit the rabbit breaking one of the blades and sending rabbit bones into the radiator. Cost $1285 for a new fan blade, radiator and coolant!

Fortunately, whether it is a rabbit living in the fan shroud or rats eating up wiring, it should be covered by your comprehensive insurance if the damage exceeds your deductible.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I had an 87 Olds Cutlass Wagon. There was major construction in the neighborhood. Chasing out rats. They ate my main electrical wire connection bundle under the engine. There was a spark,then the engine caught fire. Luckily I had an extinguisher, and put it out right away. No fire damage. So the fire truck didn't have to spray the engine, and crack the block. A new harness installed, and the Wagon ran for a few more years. I was turning a corner on a busy road, when it caught on fire. Luckily I live many miles away now, and no more rodent issues.

Reply to
4546