New Chevy Pickups - problems with Vortec 6000 and 8100

Hello everyone -
I'm looking into buying a new Chev 2500 4x4 with either the Vortec 6000 or the 8100 gas engines. I was just looking for opinions about both
engines and would like to hear anything people have to say about problems I may have with either. I'm mildly interested in the Duramax Diesel but would rather have the gas engines.
Thanks
Shawn
snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net
Greetings,
If you are not too concerned with fuel mileage (or so it appears because you want a heavy truck with a large engine), then I can recommend the Duramax diesel, especially when coupled with the new 6-speed Allison automatic. I believe that you will find this combination with the High Output version of the Duramax will give you incredible power (360hp, 650 ft-lbs torque) with reasonable economy. The 8100 gasser is also an incredibly powerful motor, but you can probably expect about half or two-thirds the mileage of the Duramax when identically equipped.
Just my two cents worth - Jonathan

you
of
Mileage would be closer to 1/3 to 1/2 of the Diesel. The 8100 is a thirsty devil:)
Al
I love this "one half the mileage" claim. Sure it will use some more fuel but not twice as much and it will be a LOT quieter, no diesel fuel smell, start in ANY weather without a fuss, use fuel than costs less than diesel and cost about 5 k less too. (the days of cheap diesel or over) It will also pull anything a Dmax will pull too. The 8.1 is a true classic towing beast. I drove a 06 the other day and it was awesome and a lot more fun to drive than a like Dmax. Also for what it is worth, 06 is the last year for the 8.1 so get it now or never in a new truck. If you like the diesel and its quirks fine but some people do not.
Jonathan wrote:

--

www.thesnoman.com

"TheSnoMan" < snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com> wrote in message

I, too, love it when people chime in with claims. Unlike what Snoman says, you will definitely see much better fuel economy with a diesel over a gas motor with similar power. Cheap diesel fuel? Maybe not, but where I live diesel is the same as mid-grade gas and is not nearly as volitile in it's price fluctuations (thanks to the trucking industry, the electric utilities, and home heating fuel, among others).
As to the noise level, I say bunk. My Duramax is quiet enough to open the hood at idle and have a conversation with a buddy standing next to the engine while running without having to raise my voice. I will concede that I don't know much about cold weather starting because here in Florida 60F is cold, and 50F is Damn Cold.
And while the 8.1 will pull anything a like-equipped Duramax will tow, it will be doing it at higher RPM's and with a higher rate of fuel consumption. There's a reason why 2006 will be the last year for the 8.1 - I wonder why? A Duamax is no more quirky than the big block gasser, unless you consider one of those quirks passing by the gas station more often instead of stopping.
Cheers - Jonathan