Opinions on the New S40

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for a new car. I am looking at the new volvo S40 (AWD T5 version), the SAAB 92X (Turbo AWD version) and the Subaru WRX (not sti). From my research all 3 cars appeal to me and are up my budget. I have heard that the SAAB is merely a Subaru WRX engine with a SAAB body - is that true? Out of all 3.....the Volvo appeals to me the most......but with the options i want (like moonroof etc)......the price is going over my budget.

I have also never owned a Volvo and so I am interested to hear opinions/concerns about its reliability etc. I generally tend to keep cars for at least about 6-7 years.......My current Honda has about 120K miles and is 7 years old and has served me really well with respect to realibility. So my 2 main factors are I want a car thats fun to drive (I think all 3 above models would be fun to drive) but at the same time gives me the reliability i want.

Just wanted to get opinions from die hard volvo fans on what i can expect by owning a swedish car for about 6-7 years.

Thanks, Pumba

Reply to
Pumba

Yes the Saab is a WRX with a body and interior (and apparantly a lot more soundproofing/refinement tweaks) makeover... I like the new S40 the best out of that lot too... But I'm debating S40 base vs Passat base (they're the same price, one's smaller and cooler, the other is bigger, but a lot more conservative) for sometime in 2005. Still need to take an S40 out for a spin at the dealer tho, I've only looked at the one US spec model they had on display, it was nice car... but it had leather and other options I wouldn't get, and it didn't have the 12 speaker stereo (Dolby II system) which I want. - I want a 5 speed manual, N-A 5 cyl, with cloth seats, basic standard features, Dolby II system optioned out, and some nice rubber floor mats... Nothing else.

The engine is basically the same as the current 5 cylinders, which have been around more or less the same (tweaked in some areas of course, revamped possibly in others) for over a decade... so it'll be reliable there. Platforms new tho, Mazda 3 uses it, and so does Ford on the european Focus... No one's owned one long enough for any long term conclusions tho.

I'd get an S40 over those other cars for styling alone.. and I can't stand Subaru interiors (and most Japanese interiors for that matter) they either seem too spartan - can't figure out where they hide all their features... And that Subie body is just ugly IMO... Saab looks really good from the front tho.

We have a 1993 960, and it's been very good for the past 11 years,

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yes

Out of all 3.....the Volvo appeals to me the most......but

A Mazda 3 is very close to the Volvo 40--same platform shared between the euro (not in the USA) ford focus, Mazda 3 and the Volvo 40--drive the Mazda before you scof...

Our 850 (no turbo, automatic) has 122,000 with no problems, but regular, expensive Volvo experenced tech service.

Reply to
Steve n Holly

I have been very interested in the S40 T5 AWD. However, I have would only be interested in the manual transmission. The T5 with automatic transmission that I test drove 5 months ago was fantastic except between 0 and 25 miles per hour. Manual transmission may have fixed that. However after waiting 5 months for one to test drive, I can wait no more.

I am buying a Jetta GLI with manual transmission. SAAB too big, BMW and Audi too big and too sluggish for the smaller size engines. I did not even try the larger engines because the out the door price exceeds $35000 by the time one puts reasonable options in.

Wanted Sports car performance without looking like a sports car and too boring was also out of the question (goodbye Subaru WRX). Mazda 3 was impressive but no responsive enough to the gas pedal.

Audi TT - absolutely fantastic but it is a coupe sports car...so out of the question.

S40 the best looker, the most class but clearly they have a production problem.

Reply to
Farrel Buchinsky

Only in terms of performance. But not feel.

Too much is made of the sharing. The Mazda 3 and Volvo s40 don't feel particularly similar, IMO. The Mazda feels like a Mazda, the body structure, shock damping, dyanamic qualities feel like Mazda (not a bad thing, just different than Volvo). The Volvo s40 feels like it shares the lineage with cars like the 850 and s60, with some athletic injection, but the body structure, shock damping, brake feel, etc. feel all Volvo. The materials used and ergonomics on the Mazda and Volvo are very much their own, I saw nothing that seemed to be shared. The Volvo uses 4 different types of steels, not true of the Mazda and the Mazda, although tight, just doesn't feel as robust as the Volvo.

If anything, I think the new s40 feels more Volvo than the Mitsubishi-based s40, which felt light for a Volvo and didn't have that robustness that those used to Volvo will recognize.

By contrast, the Saab 2 feels like a Subaru with Saab dressing.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

The platform does not include the engine, suspension, interior, transmission, or other drive train gear, so it chiefly just determines the basic crashworthyness and the size. The Mazda is strictly FWD while all the others are AWD. Lacks many premium features like a trip computer, traction control and stability control. Antilock brakes are optional while all the others include them standard. It only has a 5 year body rust warranty.

Volvo S40 AWD T5 will last the longest. ~$27,306. Sharp handling and quick acceleration, well-designed interior controls, long list of safety features including standard front and rear head air bags and optional integrated child safety seat. Has tightest turning circle. Includes many standard features that are either optional or not available on the others such as trip computer and traction control are standard and stability control is available. Firm suspension. 8 year body rust warranty. 6 speed manual transmission is standard and a 5 speed shiftable automatic is optional.

Saab 9-2X Turbo AWD. ~$26,464 This is a wagon and the others are sedans. Sporty good looks, forgiving ride quality without sacrificing road feel and handling precision, punchy acceleration on turbo models. Interior more Subaru than Saab, lacks many premium features like a trip computer, navigation system, traction control and stability control. 6 year body rust warranty. 5 speed manual is standard. Limited towing capacity.

Subaru WRX ~$23,272 It has a good engine but the body will not last as long as the others. Its well-tuned suspension offers agile, enjoyable handling along with a compliant ride. Tight rear quarters, limited availability of side airbags. Lacks many premium features like a trip computer, navigation system, traction control and stability control. 5 year body rust warranty. 5 speed manual is only transmission. No external thermometer.

These AWD vehicles have similar mpg, driving range, length, height, and weight. The Volvo has considerably more shoulder room front and rear and more rear leg room.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Yes, but can a mere mortal take possesion of a manual transmission Volvo S40 AWD T5?

Reply to
farrel.buchinsky

Sure. You may have to order it rather than just take something off the lot. You can "build & price" one at:

A 2005 S40 T5 AWD with 6-speed man. Trans. comes out to $27,710 for my zip code.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I left out the link.

(sorry about that)

Reply to
Stephen Henning

THINK about safety too the Japanese wrx is a joy toy while it lasts .The Saab and Volvo are more substantial with a longer life engine .Check the cost of parts and make up which you can afford .

Reply to
John Robertson

I am not flaming you, but honestly, what is the difference between the Subie and the Sabb powertrain?

realibility.

Reply to
Steve n Holly

My experience with Subaru and their power trains is the engines are strong, the transmissions are weak and the bodies rust out. Saab has better transmissions and don't rust out.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Thanks, however the question was about the wrx vs the 9-2 :) I think they are justa bout the same....

Reply to
Steve n Holly

But the Saab 9-2 *is* a Subaru, even most of the body, it's mostly just a front end facelift, I wouldn't expect any significant difference in reliability (which is generally very good in Japanese cars) or safety (somewhat questionable). I won't argue that it's not a good car, but I will say that it seems like a silly car, if you want a Subaru go buy a normal Subaru and save a few grand. If you want a Saab, buy a real Saab and get the uniqueness and Swedish design.

Reply to
James Sweet

... and the Saab 9-2X Aero is sinking to the Subaru WRX level as a result. I understand Saab used better materials on the interior, but the rust-bucket exterior is still the same. The State of Pennsylvania took my Subaru Legacy off the road with 120,000 miles on it because it was not road worthy. It had received all routine maintenances at the Subaru dealership and had numerous parts replaced due to rust, but rust in the structural parts of the body and brake components had compromised the vehicles safety.

The warranties are different:

Saab 9-2X Warranty:

Basic: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi. Drivetrain: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi. Roadside: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi. Rust: 6 yr. / Unlimited mi.

Subaru WRX Warranty:

Basic: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi. Drivetrain: 5 yr. / 60,000 mi. Roadside: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi. Rust: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi.

In comparison the Volvo V50 Warranty:

Basic: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi. Drivetrain: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi. Roadside: 4 yr. / Unlimited mi. Rust: 8 yr. / Unlimited mi.

And the Volvo has considerably more shoulder room.

Reply to
Stephen Henning