Silverado vs Chevrolet pickups (3500 series)

I am contemplating purchase of a new diesel pickup. Definitely am NOT considering buying a Chrysler product. My wife is prodding me in this direction, and I have a couple of questions.

  1. What is the difference between Silverado and Chevrolet pickups.

  1. Just how reliable is the 3500 series. I want to buy a truck that would last a long time. I use trucks for commute, hauling stuff for resale, and for towing a 3,500 lbs boat on trailer.

  2. How loud are those diesels.

thanks.

Ignoramus32140

The Silverado is an Chevy truck and Sierra is the GMC brand countrt pat but them both come of same aassembly line

Like any new truck, they get more complex every year so there is more to potentailly go wrong with them. They are not like the trucks of even 10 or 15 years ago that where still fairly simple

Gm has one of the quietest diesel engines in trucks and aurguably the best tranny too, the 6 speed ally (wicth is also availible with 8.1 and 6.0)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Got it. I should have said GMC vs. Chevrolet.

You see, I had a bad experience with a Dodge RAM 1500, so I am looking for something that is "honestly made", made to last and work to spec, and not like the Dodge mechanic told me about my RAM, "made for the looks".

That's where I am coming from.

I could even pay more for something that is made very well. Is that Allison transmission, for example, very reliable or is it just a fancy name?

Ignoramus32140

Chevy/GMC- Virtually the same exact vehicle. The only difference between them are the available option packages. GMC may have a group that has tinted glass, auto dimming mirrors, auto headlights. Chevy may offer Tinted Glass, Auto headlights and a manual mirror.

The Duramax (Isuzu) is THE quietest diesel hands down. Nobody else comes close.

The same is true of the Allison automatic. They are VERY heavy duty. Take a look in fire engines, garbage trucks, buses, heavy delivery vehicles. They almost all use an Allison automatic now. In the 3500 you even get a solid front axle instead of IFS.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thank you, that was very helpful. I really lik ethe idea of strong front axle and good transmission.

Now, I hope that I won't raise ire of this newsgroup's gods, but how does this vehicle compare to Ford F-350 diesel?

Thanks

Ignoramus32140

None, Chevrolet makes the Silverado.

Reply to
LS

GM is in the crapper. Think about it...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Unless its powered by a Cummings and has a manual trans then a Ram is alright. Hemi is crap.

GMC dealers are more likely negotiate with you on price.

Reliability isnt an issue so much as cost to maintain. Big truck, big parts, big labor = big money. I got to hand it to GM though, their newer trucks have gotten much easier to work on. Much more cleaned up under the hood than the mid to late 90's. Anything older than 97 doesnt have power to match todays trucks.

A 1500 will tow a 3,500 lbs boat and trailer just fine. Are you planning on sticking it in the bed of the truck and throwing away the trailer??? If not a 3500 sounds overkill. I've seen 4x4 1500's haul Bridgeport knee-mills (2250lbs est) in the bed without breaking a sweat. 3500's are used to pull double car trailers. (12,000 rated) From what I read a 4x4

2500HD would be more reasonable for you.

Same sound output as a gas engine. Ford powerstroke however.......

Reply to
Tommy Gun

Where do you see this? The standard 3500 trucks that we sell, single wheel or dualie all use IFS.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

They haven't much in common with the trans used in fire engines or other heavy vehicles other than the name. They were for quite a bit problematic I don't know if this is still true, I'm sure others will jump in.

Where are you finding a solid front axle in a 3500?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Hey idiot!! Been waiting for you to prove me wrong, down a couple of threads in the 4X4 mileage thread. You ran your mouth, now bring it.

Oh, that's right you just bury your head. Damn, your sig is wrong again. Let me help ya out.

Reply to
Roy

Well, I had a RAM and I am not very happy, unfortunately.

I see.

That's nice to know.

I agree, but, I think, operating way below rated capacities is a good thing in society where capacities are not stated honestly.

Perhaps you are right, here I may be coming from a overly conservative point of view.

Sounds good. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

How easy are these trucks as far as routine maintenance goes?

Ignoramus32140

Guess again, still IFS as GM has no solid axle option. I have a 2000 K3500 and it is IFS.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The 6.0 is not even in the same league and has been a pac of trouble for ford. It would be the last oil burner that I would select. It is a shame because the old 7.3 it replaced was about bullet proof.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The Ally had a few issue the firsst year or two it has out but it has been improve and it was beefed up again in 06. Most of the earleir problem were related to user boosting or chipping motor and giving no thought to its effect on drive line. When the Ally came it is was called a 1000 series, which stand for its torque capacity in metric newtons (same for 4L60/65 and 4L80/85 by adding a zero to them) and

1000 is equal to about 600 fgtlbs and a stock 1000 is good to about 700 ft lbs and then it starts to slip (ie chipped) New models will handle more torque and are good up to about 800 ft lbs now though they are rated less..

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

One of the guys in the fire department just bought a new 3500 and is has a solid axle. Surprised me because I could have sworn they were all IFS. I'll have to ask him about it, maybe he had some aftermarket work done?

One of the other members just picked up a new ford 350, that thing is so noisy it is hard to hear the siren over the engine...

Reply to
Steve W.

Greetings,

Since you mention that you will use this truck to commute then let me add my piece. For the towing you will be doing and what you want, then my suggestion is the 2500HD instead of the 3500. It will tow all you want and more by a factor of three, will still have the Duramax diesel and Allison tranny, will be easier on fuel than the 3500 and easier to park with the single rear wheels.

I've got almost 50,000 miles on my '04 Silverado crewcab 2500HD 2wd with the Duramax and Allison with very few minor problems. I've also had over 20 years years in the fire service driving Fords (ambulances, rescue trucks, command vehicles, etc.) with a variety of Ford diesels and transmissions spanning the generations - which is why I own a Chevy. 'Nuff said.

My fire department uses Allison transmissions on our mid and large apparatus. The Allison 1000 series is common in our medium duty rescue trucks in both the Freightliner and International chassis.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I know that there is some sort of "heavy duty" 3500 that is made, and I believe that they have a solid front axle, but only if they are 2 wheel drive. I haven't seen a GM light duty truck with a solid front axle in years.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Jonathan, so, then, what is the difference between 2500 HD and 3500 models?

Ignoramus32140

Gm has one of the quietest diesel engines in trucks and aurguably the best tranny too, the 6 speed ally (wicth is also availible with 8.1 and 6.0)

Reply to
Dafey