OEM Radio Question 2004 Canyon-->2000 Sonoma

I took the OEM deck out of my 2004 Canyon shortly after buying it.

My brother in law has a 2000 Sonoma, and his CD does not work.

Will my radio work in his vehicle? I am primarily concerned with the theft lock. His took a user-entered code, mine uses a VIN.

Anyone?

Reply to
Commentator

Nope. Different data bus system.

Reply to
Steve W.

What does that have to do with moving the stereo from one vehicle to another?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The different bus means that even by reprogramming the radio to a different VIN (Dealer can do this) it would still not work. Would be like installing a new small block in your truck. It may fit but without changing a LOT of other things it won't work. Oh and that VIN locked radio will ONLY work with your vehicle. Even another Canyon cannot use it without it being reprogrammed.

Reply to
Steve W.

Can it be reprogrammed to NOT use the theft lock at all?

Reply to
Commentator

That's not the main issue here. The radios in newer vehicles are "plugged in" to SO MANY of the vehicle's systems that it's not funny. I had a new Malibu for a rental in Feb. The radio in that car controlled, many of the driver-adjustable functions, from the remote-start to oil life monitoring to the DIC, which was integrated with the radio. This is the same type of radio used in most GMs now. This type of integration causes the interface between the radio and truck to be set up significantly different and indirectly prevents the radio from being used in an older model. The radio has now become a part of the vehicle's Class 2 data bus.

FYI, the radio from a 2002 S-10 won't work on your 2000 Sonoma, the plug-in and wiring are different, it was changed for '02 as the beginning of the transition to this new system. '02 didn't see the level of integration you see on the '05's, but it was the beginning.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Hi!

I suspect it may be possible, but I don't know how to do it.

All I can say for sure is that I have seen similar radios operating from nothing but a bench power supply and operating perfectly. Unfortunately I didn't think to ask questions about what may have been done to make this possible.

I also don't know the pinout of my 2003 S-10's factory radio, so I cannot say for sure what it might do if I were to just wire it up to a power supply and some speakers. I'm not so sure it would lock up or that it can. The seeming data bus connector on the back of the radio wasn't hooked up to anything whatsoever when I pulled it.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh