oil on spark plugs

My 350 won't start. I took out the plugs and the passenger side ones are covered in oil. I assume this means something is blown.... What has usually failed to cause this? Is it usually just a top end rebuild to fix it? or bottom end as well?

Thanks.

Reply to
TimG

Not necessarily either. Was the oil there after a drive or from sitting a long time (seepage)? Another question would be is how much blue smoke did it emit (if any) when it last ran. If it only puffed on startup, and then went away..the valve seals are bad. If you were fogging mosquitoes; blown head gasket, or bad rings. Is there water in the crankcase? Oil in the radiator? Do a compression test on ALL of the cylinders (both sides) do a comparison, and see if the pass side reads low. If so, it could be a few diffent things. If not low, probably valve seals. Just my opinion and what I would check first before an overhaul...(but overhauls are fun too!!) Good luck

Reply to
Eightupman

............... "TimG" wrote in......

.................... Re: oil on spark plugs Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Sep 27, 2003, 1:23am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@newemail.com (Eightupman)

Not necessarily either.

Was the oil there after a drive or from sitting a long time (seepage)? Another question would be is how much blue smoke did it emit (if any) when it last ran.

==another good question would be if YOU== ==even got a clue what you're spewing??==

If it only puffed on startup, and then went away..the valve seals are bad.

===not neccessarily there, ole 8-upwithit===

If you were fogging mosquitoes; blown head gasket, or bad rings.

==that's all??....yeah, you're clueless===

Is there water in the crankcase?

==long stretch there, from oil on a plug...== == ain't it there, ole 8-upwhithit ?? ==

Oil in the radiator?

==NO.....ON THE FREAK"N PLUGS ===

Do a compression test on ALL of the cylinders (both sides) do a comparison, and see if the pass side reads low. If so, it could be a few diffent things. If not low, probably valve seals.

==wouldn't you like to know if the damn thing== ==is even producing a spark?? == ==IT WOULDN'T FIRE UP .....remember? == ==you always guess like this?? == ==you're real name ain't Willy is it?? ==

Just my opinion and what I would check first before an overhaul...(but overhauls are fun too!!)

==you're opinion sucks monkey ass......====

Good luck ==he's gonna need it.........................== ==if he listens to you, ole 8-upwithit == ...................................... ...................................... Tim G, stick a plug wire in your mouth and have your wife crank the engine over. If you get knocked on your arse........put a new set of plugs in it and see how it runs.

If it don't knock yuh on yer arse.......do a repost and we'll talk yuh through the ignition diagnosis.

Get it running first....... then do a repost ON HOW IT'S RUNNING..... then we'll go back to the AutoZoned store and spend more of you're hard earned money.

as a side note....that other dudes 8-up with it you ever heerd of dem dat don't know......?? dat der dude ain't got uh clue......!!!!

respectfully submitted to TimG,

Scribs Abell ~~is gonna tell Willy the Washboy that .....

8-upwithit is after his title.....WW is a Master Guesser at 99% accuracy....~~~
Reply to
Scribb Abell

Reply to
seeray

the only dumb questions are the ones not asked dude people ask questions here for info because of lack of training or know how not to get insulted but a quick lube guy who took mechanics in highschool and is now a parts changer that thinks hes a mechanic

Reply to
Steve Cook