Old 350's: Higher & Lower?

The 350 that I had dropped into my 86 Chev 1/2 ton a few years ago just crapped out. I'm shopping for a replacement, and the guy who collects chevs near here asked me on the phone if it was a newer or older 350. I replied that it wasn't a throttle body, but he wanted to know if it was the higher or lower kind. I didn't understand what he wanted to know and he was on his way out the door and didn't have time to explain.

The motor that's in the truck now came from an older truck I forget what year, but it had round headlights. 79? Anyway, I suppose I should get the same thing that's in there now, but if anyone has any insight to offer, please let me know. Apparently there are a lot of 305s around, but 350s are getting scarce. Will a 305 be OK with the rad & other hookups from a

350? Will there be much tweaking if I go with a 305? The tranny is a 3 speed.

-JD

Reply to
John D

A 305 will drop right in and bolt up...BUT...DON'T DO IT! 305's are low power junk. That is why there is so many of 'em. The majority were cast in Mexico and were notorious for having REALLY weak blocks.

You can get a warranted 350 from GM for $1200-$1400. Brand new, NOT reman. or recon..

I have a GM Guru Buddy that rebuilt a 350 for me for $800. It was stock with the exception of being .030 over and a higher output stock rated cam. He warrantees his engine and trans rebuilds for 1yr. No cores needed.

Reply to
Shades

How about if I switch from carb to TB, what's involved?

Reply to
John D

And what other motors will just "drop right in"?

Reply to
John D

The engine will bolt up with no problems, but you will need the complete computer harness, computer, high pressure electric fuel pump(easier to swap the saddle tank from an '87) and the fuel lines. You can run an external fuel pump and make your own lines, but for a clean install, routing the factory lines and swapping the factory tank with the baffle and internal fuel pump can't be beat!

Reply to
Shades

You can bolt up pretty much any Chevy engine...Big Block, small block, inline 6...

Accessories are an issue, exhaust, engine mounts, etc...

Reply to
Shades

I've got a line on an 88 (newer body style) Throttle Body that looks & sounds pretty good, it's a complete truck, which is nice, because I can drive it to the shop. Will it work just as well?

Thanks for your help.

-JD

Reply to
John D

For engine and computer it will be perfect. With the exception of gas lines and tank/pump, everything you need to make it run in your truck is there. When converting to FI, its always best to get a running donor vehicle.

Reply to
Shades

The tank & exhaust in my 86 were replaced a couple of years ago, is it possible to adapt this new tank etc to work with the new drivetrain? Also, are the rad and dash hookups compatible?

-JD

Reply to
John D

The '88 tank is on the inside of the frame rail, I doubt it could be adapted to your truck. Use the radiator hoses for your year truck. Also use the engine wiring harness from your truck.

=----

Reply to
Shades

He could have been referring to the valve cover bolt placement. Lower for the older style heads and higher for the through the top bolted style.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to