Personal Computers in 4x4s

I am in the process of adding a computer to my truck ( I spend 60 hours a week in my truck as my mobile office). If anyone has any links to web sites w/ what others have done or hardware designed for extreme duty, please let me know. I will be documenting my installs on a web domain I just purchased, for others to see/follow.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kenner Costen

Fire Departments and Police Departments have been using mounted laptop computers in their vehicles for many years. The hardware and mounting equipment has been around for a while. Check with your local agencies and see what they are using.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race
***Ug, cross posted... ***

If money is an issue, just use a notebook. I've had the (same) notebook in my Hummer for about six or seven years now, and it still works. Try local comptuer stores for a traded in notebook, or eBay.

If money is not an issue, there are several really (*REALLY*) nice solutions with heavy duty boxes, remote LCD touch screens, wireless keyboards, and the works. But these are expensive. Designed for commercial duty, they will stand up well.

Reply to
Peter D. Hipson

Try

under vehicle equipment they have a laptop shelf and a mounting arm. I've bought from them several times in the past and had very good luck.

Reply to
David Price

is probably the best resource. I wanted mine to be sturdy so I used a small rack mount case with a mini-itx fanless system and a laptop hdd. Its very similar to
but without the display on the front of the chassis.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Panasonic (toughbook)
These are generally meant for construction, mining and military use. Get out your checkbook, they run 2x, 3x, 4x or more than consumer grade models.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Thanks everyone, actually I am putting a 1/2 rack into the bed under my Leer Cap. Into this I am putting in a UPS that is 12 volt to 12 volt regulated supply that will supply the PC with roughly 24 hours of battery run time if needed.

Below this I am mounting 4 1U Linux based servers using shock proof (we will see) Hard Drives. If worst case come salong I can always run solid state memory drives up 50 gig they have now but. the price is HUGE.

Below the PC/Servers I will mount a KVM up to a flatpanel touch screen mounted to the right of the GMC's cluster (above the radio). I figure the touch screen is more viable then a mouse in a truck.

Plan's are to run Verizon Wireless Internet to 1 unit w/ a Proxy Server/Log In Server. Then one unit will handle MP3's, one will push video (movies) and the 3rd will be used for the GPS/Mapping and Video Broadcasting.

I've done the laptop bit for some time, it just can't handle everything I have in mind for the truck.

Reply to
Kenner Costen

You want a RAM mount. From their website:

RAM's patented solid rubber ball and sturdy metal socket mounts have been tested by some of the following companies: Intermec, TRW, FMC, Rockwell, Lowrance, Garmin, US Navy, US Army and many others. In every case, RAM exceeded the required demand and was surprisingly accepted as the standard mounting solution from then on. All 160 RAM components are 100% interchangeable so if you decide to alter configurations or applications simply switch out the components or the device RAM's holding. Convenience and quality without a big dollar expense is what RAM brings along with lifetime warranties, electronic protection and perfect viewing angles.

Good stuff!

Reply to
I.H. Scout

You may want to consider the cooling of the computer. If it gets to hot the CPU will shut down. You may need to add a cooler system with refrigerant to keep it within operating temperatures. Many vehicles today are equipped with regular PC computers but they are used in emergency services are other services that usually AC controlled environment around the PC. Mounting the PC itself in under the Leer cap where there is no air circulation may get extremely hot from the sun not to mention the heat from the PC equipment and from the vehicle's exhaust.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

What do you do to spend that much time in your mobile office?

Reply to
Eugene Nine

I am working on that. Currently I am going to "insualte" the shell with this material that keeps the solar emissions lower, you can buy it at most home stores looks like bubble wrap w/ tinfoil on it. But its supposed to drop the E rating down to a 3, from 100 natural. This stop solar "radiation" heat, and in turn cuts ambient. I have found some chips that run at 1gig that are fairly stable in all but say August in Las Vegas but I will need to circulate air and possible cool the units. I have looked at a couple of solutions. I can mount the half rack inside a half size 12 volt fridge or I can break down go to 1 unit larger unit and run a PC Cooler w/ Fluid and AC. The trick is which will handle the roads the best w/ least problems if they give way.

I am leaning towards the 12 volt fridge solution. I have done this for systems in metal buildings in the middle of the desert and it works wonders.

Reply to
Kenner Costen

That foil bubble wrap stuff works well, I insulated my last truck with it and am thinking of doing this one. Is your cap fiberglass or aluminum? If Aluminum you can put 1" thick insulation between the frame then cover with the bubble wrap, then get the thin blue insulation stuff and cover it with headliner material to match the truck. Via makes a couple mini-ITX boards that run fanless, thats how I ran my mp3 player, they are not real fast but if you run a decent os like Linux/bsd they are plenty fast enough.

Reply to
Eugene Nine