PING: Ian (shiden_kai), or any GM tech.

I'm helping a buddy from zr2.com install his OHC next Tues. He is also having overheating issues and it seems that his fan clutch isn't engaging, so we figure we'll replace the clutch. He's had the coolant flushed (by a GM dealer), he had the t-stat replaced before having that done. What size wrench do I need to remove the clutch from the water pump shaft? Is the serpentine system enough friction to keep the pulley from turning while un-doing the nut? I know there are GM tools for both tasks, but neither of us figure we'll be doing this again. The Auto Zone loan-a-tool program only has the wrenches (in 2 sizes, 1-9/16" and 2-1/4") for the Ford clutches. Is either one of these the right size? Would a pipe wrench fit on the nut?

Also, can you check on some document numbers for me? They're from the GM service info system and may relate to something I've noticed on my truck, curious what the text is. Document numbers are A000572 (Headlights dimming, flickering while driving) and A001661 (INTERIOR LAMP , HEAD LIGHT FLICKER - BATTERY COURTESY ELECTRICAL FLUCTUATION GENERATOR INTERMITTENT LIGHTS). These both relate to at the least a

2000 S-10 4WD.
Reply to
Mike Levy

I'm about 95% sure that the nut in my '04 full-sized is 1 1/4". I used a 10 or 12" adjustable wrench on it. I held a fan blade, put the wrench on the nut, and gave the wrench a few taps from a rubber mallet. It came off VERY easy.

If you don't tap the wrench with something, the pulley will probably slip.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Sorry, meant to measure my tool for this at work, but forgot about it. In a pinch, you could try using a set of water pump pliers to grip the nut. Often, if you use the proper wrench, and smack it with a hammer, the friction of the belt is enough to hold the pulley in place while you loosen the fan clutch. If that doesn't work, you either need the right tool, or you might try a long screwdriver or pry bar and work off of the pulley bolts to hold it in place.

Those numbers don't jive with what I have access to. You need to provide me with number that look more like this: 01-07-30-021....and they can have letters after the last number.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks, will see about the water pump pliers, that may do the trick if I can get in there...

Sorry Ian, those numbers I got came out of the old SPO service info program. That's the best I have. Maybe I'll try the number they list in there and see if I can get the info I'm looking for. Basically, my headlights flicker periodically when driving at night. Don't know if that's enough to go on or not. These were not TSBs that I can tell, they came up under the "Preliminary Information" category. I do have TSBs in that program that follow the numbering system you describe, none referring to items like those documents cover.

Reply to
Mike Levy

I went to measure the tool today, and noticed that it's stamped

36 right on it. So it's a 36mm size nut.

I went looking in the preliminary info section and the closest thing I could find is this one:

IPC Interior Head Lamps Flicker - kw battery courtesy electrical fluctuation generator GMT325 GMT330 GMT800 GMT820 GMT830 intermittent lamp light #PI02010 - (Jun 29, 2004) IPC Interior Head Lamps Flicker .

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms in the PI.

Condition/Concern: Customers may have comments of a flickering light condition in the IPC, interior lamps or headlights. This condition is most likely to be noticed when the engine RPM is low and when high electrical load requirements are in place on the CS-130D generator.

Recommendation/Instructions: Vehicles with the listed condition have been found to have a pulse width charging modulation that ranges alternately from 2% to 97% duty cycle. This can be observed by checking terminal f with a fluke meter in the percent range (hertz button pressed twice) and in AC volts.

In order to correct this condition, install a external sense source through the unused "S" terminal at the generator. The generator four-way connector must be replaced with part number 15306009 in order to gain access to the generator sense terminal, which is terminal position d on the connector. The modification involves supplying battery voltage from the battery stud (B+) on the back of the generator using a 0.5-millimeter wire and a ring connector. Next install the appropriate female terminal on the end of the wire and put it into the terminal d position in the new connector (15306009) and install the connector on the generator. This procedure should only be used for the condition mentioned; other conditions, such as headlights dimming, will not be corrected by the aforementioned procedure.

.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models: (1999-2004 CHEVROLET S-10 PICKUP 2WD) and (1999 - 2004 CHEVROLET S-10 PICKUP

4WD) and (1999 - 2004 GMC SONOMA PICKUP 2WD) and (1999 - 2004 GMC SONOMA PICKUP 4WD) and (1999 - 2004 CHEVROLET BLAZER 2WD) and (1999 - 2004 CHEVROLET BLAZER 4WD ) and ( 1999 - 2004 GMC JIMMY 2WD) and ( 1999 - 2004 GMC JIMMY 4WD ) and (1999 - 2004 GMC ENVOY 4WD) and (1999 - 2004 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA AWD) and (99-04 All Chevrolet full size trucks and utilities) and (99-04 All GMC full size trucks and utilities) and (99-04 All Cadillac full size utilities)
Reply to
shiden_Kai