Toyota 3.5L V6 piston slap?

Graybeard's experience with other Lexus on the lot and Toyota suggests the relaxed piston-bore production tolerance is common on the 3.5L
V6.
How about on the Camry V6/Avalon? Anyone?
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:04:01 -0400 Local: Mon, Apr 28 2008 7:04 am Subject: Reply from Lexus
The following is the reply from Lexus in response to the "piston slap" noise that we hear from our ES350 and also from a randomly selected car on the dealers lot.
Graybeard
Subject Defective Lexus Design
Discussion Thread Response (Heather Mauu) 04/28/2008 06:34 AM
Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding Concern. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts.
Lexus understands your concerns with the engine noise heard in your 2007 ES 350, Vehicle Identification Number JTHBJ46G772142795. Lexus has done thorough research into this matter and has found that this engine noise is a normal operating condition. We apologize that the vehicle has not met your expectation. Please be assured that your dissatisfaction has been documented in our records for product improvement consideration.
If you require further assistance, please contact the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
Sincerely,
Heather Mau'u Customer Satisfaction Representative
Add pictures here
✖
On May 6, 8:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I thought issues like that were a thing of the past, from before computer controlled machining.
Add pictures here
✖

The piston slap noise is not the result of relaxed piston-bore production tolerances. The noise is the result of shorter piston skirts.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

✖

Excellent and informative reply - thank you.
Add pictures here
✖
Excellent detail. This still points to excessive piston-bore clearance. Maybe Ford fixed it by using the more expensive hypereutectic pistons, which seems to be the case looking at Mahle pistons clearance specs instead of the cheaper Aisin pistons specifications.

✖
03-01-08, 06:27 PM MD350 Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: MD
Still waiting on a recall on the new 6 speed transmission on the ES that flares. The 3.5L engine piston slap on cold starts. Keep being told the piston slap is normal
I will give them credit, they recalled the front driver side floor mat because it jammed up the gas pedal. But, that was only after the Federal Government did a full investigation and they were forced to do so. __________________ 2007 ES 350 UL Package TP/Black XM radio and 3M clear bra
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L (wife's)
Add pictures here
✖