Radiator Drain Plug Location - Where?

Greetings. I have a '99 GMC Yukon with the 5.7 engine. I want to change the coolant, but I can't find the radiator drain plug or petcock. The manual I have is useless as it shows an older model truck where the plug is in plain sight. There is a plastic plug in the lower driver's side of my radiator. It has what appears to be a head that is designed to be screwed in only, like one of those tamper proof screws. Is that it, and if so, how do you get it out? If not, where is it?

Thanks for any advice.

Spudston

Reply to
Spudston

"Spudston" wrote

That is the drain c*ck. You use a 1/4 inch extension and ratchet and turn it counterclockwise while pulling out on it. I know that will seem hard to do as there is nothing to grab on to, but that's how it comes out. Actually, it doesn't come out all the way, just turn to the left about a

1/4 of a turn and comes out to allow the fluid to drain.

I've included a picture of it out of the service manual. You will notice that the drain c*ck has a small tit on it that corresponds to the channel on the side of the tube that it is inserted into. The shape of that channel is the way that the drain c*ck will move as you turn it. So it should turn slightly to the left, and then start to move out as you turn it more.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks Ian! That's what I was looking for. A few other questions: When I remove the block plug that's also the knock sensor, do I need to remove the wire first, or can I unsrcew it with the wire attached? If I need to remove the wire, is there some trick to it? It looks somewhat complicated at first glance. Finally, do I use any sealant on the block plug threads?

Thanks again, that illustration really made it clear to me.

Spudston

Reply to
Spudston

"Spudston" wrote

I suppose you could unscrew it with the wire still attached. The connector at the knock sensor is either a big black connector that you squeeze to release the tabs, or it is a regular style connector that you lift the tab on to release it from the knock sensor. Just take a close look at it and you should be able to figure it out.

You can use pipe thread sealant on the threads.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai