Jeep Cherokee Radiator Drain Valve Leak

I own a '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and I am trying everything to not get rid of it. I love the car to death but I'm putting in more than it's worth. My latest of problems is that the petcock/drain valve on the radiator leaks coolant as if it weren't there. I have tried tightening it but that didn't stop it from leaking. The leak is from the center of the plug. There is no leak around it. What I would like to know is what would have caused this problem and if buying a new valve would fix it, or, just putting a bolt of some sort with the same threading, or, using some sort of substance to seal the hole on the valve such as a strong form of putty or something. I would go a head and just plug the hole but I'd like to know what caused it and if it is safe to do so. Thanks in advance.

Michael

Reply to
Mikelbri

If you can't find a new valve try using silicone on the threads.

Reply to
Alan

Mikelbri wrote: '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Petcock/drain valve on the radiator leaks coolant as if it weren't there. I tried tightening it but that didn't stop the leak. It leaks from the center of the plug. There is no leak around it. I would like to know the cause of the problem and if buying a new valve would fix it, or just putting a bolt of some sort with the same thread, or sealing the hole in the valve with a strong form of putty or something. I would just plug the hole but I'd like to know what caused it and if it is safe to do so. ____________________________________________

The valve seat is probably corroded or deformed.

The petcock shaft must be screwed outward until the valve seat inside the petcock valve assembly seals. (You are screwing it outward, aren't you?).

Installing a new petcock valve assembly would fix it.

Replacing the petcock valve assembly with a threaded brass plug would fix it.

Both methods are safe. The choice depends on your expectation for future ease of draining.

Good luck.

Rodan.

inside the to

Reply to
Rodan

Thanks for the info. I had thought that that might be the case but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the radiator that would cause this problem. I'll probably end up using a brass plug as I can just pull the bottom hose if I ever want to drain the radiator. Thanks!

Reply to
Mikelbri

If you're planning on rigging it instead of repairing it, the easiest solution would be some JB Kwik weld. It's a quick dry epoxy product that will solve many problems. It is permanent. I don't really like rigging things if I don't have to, the drain valve is pretty easy to replace. But it's up to you how you want to solve the problem.

Reply to
CGBear

If you have access a brass plug is much better than a petcock.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt