Re: 1500HD suspension

Hi,

> >I have previously owned a 1997 and year 2000 extended cab 1500 series >4x4 trucks. They were great (15mpg, smooth ride, etc.). > >I now own a 2003 1500HD 4x4 crew cab. The mileage is terrible (11mpg) >and the suspension is SO STIFF it breaks my back on the drive to work. >You can feel every single little bump in the road. > >Is there a way to fix this? I just want my 1500 extended cab ride >back. I don't tow anything that a regular 1500 series can't handle.

Throw some weight in the back.

Reply to
scrape at mindspring dot com

Travis,

Didn't you test drive it? Why did you buy the HD and not the regular 1500? How many miles are on it that you're quoting 11 mpg?

I have a GMC 2500HD 2003 4x4 with the 6.0 and I get 14.9 or so with less than 10K on the clock.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Travis, I know how you feel. I owned a 94' Sierra K1500 Ext cab & a 97'. I put over 131K on it before I sold it and purchased a 03' C1500 HD Crew Cab. The HD does have a more stiffer ride then my previous GMC's. However, I purchased it for the 4 doors, not the ride or the towing capacity.

Reply to
USFSIG

Travis, Were you explained when you bought the truck that you what you were buying was actually a 2500series(notHD) chassis? A lot of customers don't seem to realize this, all they are looking at is the 4 doors. With that chassis you get increased hauling and towing capacity, better brakes, and of course stiffer springs and shocks. The compromise is the rougher ride.

Jerry H. --retired GMC sales manager

Reply to
Jerry Hamilton

Some good news is that with the 04's coming up you can now get a 1500 crew cab with a 5.8ft bed and the 5.3 engine. What I want is this model with the normal short bed. photography

Reply to
BLADHASS

Peter,

Do you know if that is that is on the reg 1500 frame or still on the 2500 frame?

Jerry H/

Reply to
Jerry Hamilton

Its the 1500 frame, plus they now list the hp on the 5.3 at 295. I found the info at media.gm.com Peter photography

Reply to
BLADHASS

not really, you *could* go to a spring shop and have some softer springs made for your truck and pick up some marshmallow ride Gabriel gas shocks, but then you'd quite effectively "De-trucked" your truck, ruining any ability to haul anything.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Have you checked the Torsion bars? If they are maxed out you will have a rougher ride!

Reply to
Shane Zundel

-------------------------------- Check and see if it has a "overload" spring in the back. If you will never haul anything over 500 lbs. or so you could just pull them out and try that. They are short compaired to the others and thicker. They will be on the bottom of the stack, (one on each side)so easiely removed.

Reply to
Scott M