Reading Codes

I have a 2000 Silverado, 5.2 A/T and all that. The 'Service Engine Soon' like is on and steady (not flashing).

I haven't worked on Chevys much so if anyone has any advice about reading the codes to determine what is wrong.

One thing, I (for the frist time) filled up with 91 octane gasoline the other day, only used 1/4 tank so far. I am not sure if this is the reason. In the past I have always used 87 octane. I am at an elevation of 6000+ feet.

any advice appreciated.

Reply to
Qwest

First off, your truck has a 5.3L motor. Second, you need an OBD-II scanner to read the codes, or Autozone will do it for free.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

OK, I got a code reader (so I could have it for use in the future too) -

Now, when I read the codes it said "AIR System Bank 1". I am not sure what this means or what to look at.

Also, since there was only that one code I cleared it. I then drove the truck for about 2 minutes around the block. Strange thing is the 'Service Engine Soon' doesn't come on when the key is on and truck isn't started.

Reply to
Qwest

What was the EXACT code you got? PO###............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

The exact code is P1415, I didn't know this was universal until I searched on the internet.

Also, the 'Service Engine Soon' light does come on, I have to get out of the truck, lock the doors, unlock the doors and get back in and put the key in the ignition. So that seems to be working. The light hasn't come back on after I cleared the codes, I just took it for a 10 minute drive.

Reply to
Qwest

I didn't think 2000's had AIR (aka SMOG) pumps. What that code is telling you is that there is a problem with the secondary air induction system on the driver's side. The AIR system pumps fresh air into your exhaust system to lower emissions. The pump will be belt driven, usually located on the bottom-right (passenger side) of the serpentine system, and will have metal tubing running to one or both of the exhaust manifolds.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Actually, a 2000 Silverado w/5.3 would have an electric motor driven air pump. Pump is located in the right rear of the engine compartment...

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I haven't worked on enough of the newer ones to even notice. I thought that smog pumps went the way of the dodo years ago. They still puttin' them on the brand new ones as well?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Well thanks to all for the information, I will check it out. Won't put too much effort into it thought. As one of my previous posts mentioned, after I cleared the code from the computer I haven't seen the light come back on (in error) again. It has been 2 days so far.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Qwest