rear air in suburban

My rear air isn't blowing cold in my 92 Suburban. I was told there was most likely a blockage in the expansion valve in the rear. Is that where I should start or is there something else to look for?

Also, I talked with one guy who was doing this about a year ago, so memory is a bit faded now, he said the lines are hard to break lose. Is there a good/easy trick to this? Then what's the key to getting the rear panel apart? I heard it's a pain.

Reply to
MASTER Brian

is the blower working ?

if so, it's probably EV (actually orifice tube) plugged up

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Yes the blower is working.

Is there somewhere that has an online diagram of the rear system in my suburban?

I am under the impression there is no orifice tube for the rear part of the system, just the front, and that the expansion valve takes teh orifice tubes place. Am I wrong?

Reply to
MASTER Brian

the orifice tube IS the 'expansion valve'

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Ok, then I'll try to find that and replace it. Any suggestions on breaking the lines apart? I've heard they get tough to open.

Don't worry, I have a friend that is certified to evacuate and charge my system, I just don't want to pay for the work if I don't have to.

Reply to
MASTER Brian

soak the joints with PB Blaster and leave them for at least a day

the place where the O.T. is located will have a tube that is slightly larger close to the fitting, then narrows down a bit further on; the 'shoulder inside holds the O.T. in position

it will always be in the smaller (liquid) tube, the O.T. is in the side of the joint toward the evaporator

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Thanks for the info, now if I can just find someone that carries that tube.

Reply to
MASTER Brian

any good parts place will carry it

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I called several and none seemed to have it. They all carried the orafice (sp?) tube for the front, but not the expansion valve in the rear. I called a dealer and they could get it, but about the same time, I found a place online that carried it for a 1/3 less, so I ordered it from them. Hopefully, it works out.

Would you recommend cleaning the entire line leading to that or just replacing the valve and sealing the system back up? If I should clean it, I forget what I should use? Acetone or Mineral Spirits? I am pretty sure I was told to use one of those, when I did my wifes truck compressor last year.

Also, is it a good idea to replace the OT up front, when I do the rear or not? I really don't want to open this thing up more than need be, but don't want to experience problems down the road either.

Reply to
MASTER Brian