Removing cargo strips on Tahoe?

Hi guys.

I just bought a new 2004 Chevy Tahoe. There is a cargo assembly on the top with two plastic bars across the roof. The problem is that if I try to park on the left side of the garage, they hit the wood work and I cannot go further into the garage. I can park on the right side of the garage, but the plastic bars are hitting the rubber piece on the bottom of the garage door, though I can park safely in the garage (the foundation of the garage is uneven if you are wondering :) ). I'm having the dealer remove them on Friday, but I took a look at them and it appears that I can remove them myself. The screws are a "star" type configuration for a tool of which I don't have, but it LOOKS like I can unscrew the assembly on the back and pull one of the plastic bars back through and then do the same on the front. Has anyone done this? If so, what type of tool do I need and where can I get it?

Also, what type of maintenance do people have done on their Tahoe's and how much is the average cost? It looks like the dealer recommends "KREX Graphite Engine Lubricant" at specific intervals along with lubrication of several parts.

Thanks, SuperTe

Reply to
SuperTech

Probably Torx screws, available pretty much anywhere as either screwdrivers or bits.

Reply to
Commentator

Reply to
Mike Powers

JB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks. The dealer removed them and told me the same thing. The car manual doesn't say anything about the cargo equipment and I didn't want to damage anything. It now fits in the garage!

Thanks, SuperTech

Reply to
SuperTech