req: info towing 5th wheel basics

How strange?

Tom

Reply to
altar nospam

My first pickup, my wife's S10, had the "extended" cab and, as such, came ONLY with the short box. This was special-ordered to tow our large Starcraft popup camper. It did it VERY well.

When we upgraded RVs, I bought what we have now, a 24-1/2-foot-long, entry-level travel trailer with NO slideout rooms. I bought it because it's certified scale weight put it (just) within the low rating of the S10 pickup - a GREAT, little pickup, BTW.

We were going to special-order a 2500 Silverado when I found a suitable lot vehicle locally. The compromise this presented was basically the box length. The lot truck was (and is) an extended cab with the LONG box - and the 8.L gas engine. Perfect!

Had I ordered my first Silverado, I would probably have ordered the SHORT box. I'm sure it would be OK but, now that I have experience with the LONG box, I'd NEVER go back to a short box pickup. The added space and capabilities FAR outweigh any disadvantage the additional 1-1/2-feet might present.

This Silverado is my first four-wheel drive pickup. I'm sold: I will NEVER be without a pickup for as long as I am driving and it will always have 4x4 unless I move out of the snowbelt. So far, it ain't gonna happen. That's JUST FINE with me. ...and I work outdoors for my job.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

My style, too.

I sometimes wish the backseat of my extended cab was a little more utilitarian and "tough". Ya know... So I wouldn't have to worry about throwing a wet dog back there. It's used to haul my stuff MOST of the time and haul BUTTS almost rarely.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Aw, kwit it! Yer killin' me!

Heh. Maybe next year - or the one after that.

It took us four, LONG years to "get out from under" this magnificent vehicle. I am going to take advantage of no payment for a while before I seriously look at improving my rolling stock. When that happens, if there is ANY major outlay of $ for something on wheels, it will be for a significantly upgraded travel trailer or fifthwheel. With this killer truck, my choices are rife.

Don't hold your breath...

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

You have pretty much the identical truck as mine. I love it. I just don't get to drive it much since we got a MH. It isn't my daily driver, either. But it's mine, and paid for, so I can use it occasionally and just be happy having it.

Tom

Reply to
altar

I know what you mean about the payments. We paid cash for the '01, but have payments on the '06 (only 46 more to go ). Now we are looking at new

5th wheel trailers. We will be leaving for the Alfa National Rally at Palm Desert, CA in a few days and I suspect that between the rally and the big dealer in Mesa, AZ we will come back with a new Alfa Gold 5er. We have really enjoyed our '01 35' Alfa Ideal and have spent 937 nights in it so far.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Recer

I do disagree with the long truck POV of your's but the 4X4 is a mistake I made by not getting it. And, yes the S-10 is a formidable little truck. I had one of the first editions,

1982 model with V-6 and 4 speed manual transmission. Later they came out with the 5 speed which was much better. But I pulled some loads with that little feller that I will not admit to on this NG.
Reply to
William Boyd

Some day, perhaps the SS GhettoCruiser II and The Mother Ship may dock in the same parsec.

OK. It's a SINGLE-wheel. (SW vs DW)

Camping World, my dear. Camping World.

There are ~$350 (installed) serious AIR HORNS available "out there". I enjoyed TWO sets on motorcycles, years ago. They WILL get the campground's attention if the ultra-quiet Isuzu Duramax diesel engine doesn't.

I'm going camping...

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

I have not seen the new Dodge mega cab but it would have to be as big as the crew cab or maybe bigger. If one could pick the things they liked about all of the trucks, I would choose the Allison transmission the GM puts in their trucks. You would like the way the back seats fold up and a cargo platform folds out in the rear section of my Dodge. I was told that the 4X4 does not have the same turning radius as the standard, if that is so then I have two points on your steering. The Dodge turns sharper than all the rest in the TWD category. Cant think of any thing that Ford has that I would like.

Reply to
William Boyd

S-10's are great little trucks. If any one is familiar with Florida, back in the 80's my partner and I used to pull his stock car on a trailer from Largo Florida to Desoto Speedway in Bradenton Florida, across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge at least 3 times a month with an '85 standard cab long bed S-10, 2.5 iron duke and a five speed. 2 Fridays a month we towed my '76 Vega Wagon to Bradenton Motorsports for drag racing.. I pulled it behind my

87 S-10 Blazer, and now behind my 91 S-10 Blazer, Must say each step up in engine has been an improvement in towing, but all three got the job done handily. The only S-10 set up that was a hurtin puppy was the 2.0 liter powered ones the first three years.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

"Whitelightning" wrote

I had a '83 S-10 with the 2.8L V6. It sucked. I had to drive it like an 18 wheeler with a 80,000 lb gross. Rev to the red line in every gear. Now I have a '02 Blazer with the 4.3L and it's just adequate.

Max

Reply to
Max

With apologies to the Chevy group to which this topic was originally crossposted, and while I do my best to ignore the Ram pickup, I understand that the REAR passengers can recline in the Mega Cab.

That's fine and dandy except, for me, it's TOO MUCH rear room.

Unless I would be REGULARLY hauling adults back there, if I'm gonna have THAT much space, I would prefer some of it to be in the BOX out back. A Mega Cab with an 8-ft box would be long, indeed. Does it come with the "full-size" box?

Most folks don't know or don't remember that I graduated to this monster truck from a 3-cylinder, 1000cc (1.0L) Geo Metro. (no joke) The wife's ride, the special-ordered '97 S10, was two-wheel drive. It would get stuck on a sheet of paper in July.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Well no apologies to the chevy group, I have a 94 GMC 1500 with the 5.7 EFI and just can't stand to get rid of it. ;-) I took up with the Ram at the fault of GM, their inability to produce enough diesel engines for the Humbes and at least one for a 2500 for me. After driving and comparing the two I am afraid the Ram has it, but not hands down. If I were able to order the Allison along with a Cumins I would be satisfied. But I do not know that I would put it in a GM frame, I have to do more comparing. I don't know about the

4X4 of any of them. Except, the ford, I do not really think those are springs under there, they ride so rough.

I agree, what I have is quite enough. I will not be able to go with a shorter frame. I am accustom to the interior but I think what GM had with the first extra two doors, I could also live with. That might get me closer to a longer bed. I do not want to give up the turning radius but then I am un familiar with the turning ability of the front drive system. I must have a four wheel drive to move the heavy diesel engine when off road. I have already been stuck on flat grass with an empty flat bed trailer connected. :-(

Well I had a two cylinder and enjoyed it emmencely until a lady down in El Paso, made a turn right in front of me. Of course not only did it have only two cylinders, it also only had two wheels, so much for that stunt. (Yep u guessed it, it also was no joke) ;-(

Reply to
William Boyd

What's the deal on the 4-wheel steering? Anyone had a vehicle with that option?

Reply to
Commentator

GMC Yukon XL Denali

I have looked under them and they are well constructed.

Reply to
William Boyd

If we ever get a motor home I think I will insist that we use our (my) truck as the toad. Debbie ~(8-)

Reply to
Rtavi

The backseat in my 1997 F-250 folds down, leaving me with a flat and hard plastic "floor" behind the front seats, ~15 square feet. Since I can seat 3 on the front bucket/bench I've never needed to put butts in the back. I keep a lot of stuff behind the seats. With the tinted windows it's almost as good as a "trunk". If I have to leave anything particularly valuable back there I just toss a coat or blanket over it. The rest of my stuff just looks like random stuff and the radio is the default am/fm/tape player (XM is out of view), so there's no temptation to bust into my vehicle versus something nicer/newer in the next space over.

jc

Reply to
JC Dill

Yes, but that's a reviewer. Not the same as being a daily driver or workhorse for a RL person.

Have you driven one? How do they handle?

Reply to
Commentator

It depends. If there is a sensor problem it should be recorded in the computer memory. One clue - if the "check engine" light stays on longer than normal when you finally get it started, then there may be an entry in the computer memory.

If you want to check it for yourself, see this gizmo:

Note that at the bottom there's also a list of stores that will check your car/truck's computer readout for free.

jc

Reply to
JC Dill

The rear seats of my '05 F-350 consists of two buckets with a center console. Since I have never had more than one passenger in the truck, I removed the rear seats and console (four bolts and they all come out as one unit) and cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood that fits across the rear floor with blocks to hold it level. A piano hinge and a couple of more smaller sections of plywood made a hinged cover for the storage bin that was behind the seats. I then got some matching black auto carpet from Auto Zone to cover all the plywood, first installing some 1/2 inch rubber pads. A cargo net was installed vertically across the back of the front bucket seats. Makes an excellent riding area for my 100 lb black lab, "Sam Adams", and for carrying items that you don't want to get wet when raining.

On a recent trip to Denver, Co. and back from MA, I added an extra mattress pad, blankets and a couple of pillows. Made a great emergency sleeping space in the event I needed it. Turns out I didn't, but thought of taking a snooze a couple of times in the rest areas.

RCE

Reply to
RCE