S-10 Problems

I inherited a 1995 S-10 2wd 2.2 litre 5-speed. It has 52,000 miles. It has a couple of problems that I would like to pose to group.

I checked the codes (OBD1) and none were stored.

I replaced all of the vacuum lines on the truck and used a vac gauge to make sure there were no leaks. It has 20 PSI vac at idle. The needle on the vac gauge does not fluctuate at idle. I also replaced the plugs and wires.

When the engine is cold it tends to idle rough and stumble on acceleration. This condition improves when it warms up, but never completely goes away.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

One thing I forgot to mention. Kinda hard to explain, but when I accelerate the engine sounds like a diesel. Kind of a rattly sound but not like spark knock.

I have read that this can be caused by the timing chain. Could this be a problem at just 52,000 miles?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
TheSnoMan

O.K. some good news. I got the rough idle figured out along with the stumbling.

The truck is a '95 with 52,000 miles. Obviously it hasn't been driven much and for the last 5 years was driven less than 100 miles per month. It sat a lot. I had to replace all of the vacuum lines before I could start driving it. The short answer is that I missed one and found it yesterday evening. I replaced the last vac line and the idle has smoothed out along with the stumbling.

I DON'T think the noise is detonation. I know what detonation sounds like and it really does sound different. Detonation would continue throughout acceleration and be recognized by a "pinging" sound. This "diesel" noise is only during the first couple of seconds once the clutch is released and acceleration has begun, but then it stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to