1998 Pontiac Sunfire problems

I've got a 98 sunfire. 2.2 L. About 80,000 miles. I have been having problems since May of this year. After a little while of highway driving, the temperature gauge will bounce from 100 - 180 while the car jerks as if I am taking my foot on and off the gas pedal. While this is happening I loose exeleration as my RPM's drop as well. When it first happened in May, and took it to a shop, they said the temp. sensor was bad and replaced that. That fixed the problem for a few weeks. However it is back. It did it again tonight and also while sitting for about 5 or so minutes in a drive thru, the check engine light came on as well as the temperature reaching approx. 200 degrees. The check engine light did go off after I began driving on the highway with the vent open and the heat turned up. Ideas that we have come up with were the temperature gauge being bad? Maybe the engine is reading that gauge and causing the issues to occur? As well as thinking something could be wrong with the fan sensor. I'm just trying to get some ideas to look into before taking it to a dealor and spending all kinds of money to put it on a computer. Thanks in advanced for any opinions or ideas, they are greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Jenn

I would start your car and just let it sit, open the hood and watch, if the fan kicks on, its not that. If it doesn't you know what the problem is. If it does, then I would replace the thermostat. Sometimes that gets stuck, which would explain the intermittentness of the problem. If all of the above arent it, take it to the shop.

And just an FYI, a great place to post problems if you have problems with your car is

That is a site dedicated to people that have Jbody cars.

Reply to
LiquidX

Thank you. I will def. check on the thermostat this weekend. Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to check out that site as well. You wouldn't happen to know where the drain plug for a 1998 pontiac sunfire is would you? My boyfriend tried changing the thermostat a week or 2 ago but couldnt find the plug. Tried looking online but where it said it was we couldnt find it. Thanks again

Reply to
Jenn

I have no clue, but if you post on that Jbody site I guarantee someone on there will know.

Reply to
LiquidX

Reply to
Mike Martin