S10 4.3L Firing Dis-Order

1988 S10 V6 4.3L RWD Automatic

Years ago I replaced the ignition wiring by following the existing wiring.

Now I want to change the ignition wiring again BUT I have come to a confusion point.

For the sake of old age and not wanting to screw up the wiring, I downloaded a firing order diagram only to find that it does NOT match my S10. Yes I have had work done by mechanics since the first ignition wire changeout by myself that could have changed the wireup (head removed and machined with valve job).

The diagram shows as if the view was taken from the bottom of the engine up.

So, is the diagram wrong? Can an engine run with a flipped wire up?

Where do I find a proper diagram without spending money.

Do auto parts stores have diagrams?

OldGuy

Stand in front of the truck. The cylinder bank on the drivers side is 1/3/5 Pass. side is 2/4/6

Looking down on the distributor cap you will have two screws. On engines with adjustable timing the screws will set close to a 45 degree angle compared to the crankshaft direction. The front screw will be toward the drivers side.

With the distributor in correctly the front hole is #1, then 6, 5, 4, 3, 2

Reply to
Steve W.

Like the first drawing here:

Retired

Good chance to buy a Haines or Chilton book. I've never seen wiring diagram from below the vehicle.

My experience with reversed wires, the engine does not run well at all. I had a four cylinder Ford Ranger that had two reversed when I got it. I could really tell some thing was wrong.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It happens that OldGuy formulated :

I finally found a diagram that matches my wiring.

Most diagrams I found were off by a one plug rotation of the distributor cap. That threw me off. Most diagrams do not include all the key orientation information.

OldGuy

Then your distributor is installed two teeth out of correct location.

Doesn't matter on the 88 as that computer is very dumb compared to the later ones. As long as #1 is on compression and the wire lines up with the rotor tip you're OK.

Reply to
Steve W.

Other than just looking at the distrib cap, how else could I tell if it is rotated?

I just had a CA smog test that passed and the smog mechanic said that the timing was dead on.

The only thing the smog tech said that might be negative was that the exhaust smelled a little gassy at idle. At the designated RPMs for the smog test it was well within limits.

OldGuy

You would need to pull #1 plug. Bring it up on compression and see where the rotor is in relation to the "factory location". It won't really matter though on that engine. It actually doesn't matter much on any distributer equipped engine (with a round cap design)where the plug wires start as long as the firing order is correct and you make sure it is firing on the proper stroke.

On the newer engines that have a cam sensor in the distributor you have to pay closer attention. If those are installed wrong you cannot rotate the dist. to correct the problem.

Reply to
Steve W.