Peugeot 306 TD fuel gauge and speedo problem

Hi all, I have a problem with my 1998 Peugeot 306 TD. The rev counter has worked intermittently for months. The fan has turned itself on and off at a minimum speed ever since I have had the car. Neither of those worry me so I haven't tried to get them fixed. Recently the speedo and the fuel gauge also stopped working. A friend of mine has had a look and discovered that there is a power supply problem to the diesel level indicator under the back seat. Fuses are all OK. Please does anyone have any ideas about what might be wrong, or know an online source of relevant wiring diagrams? I will discuss any replies with my friend (who is on holiday nearby and doesn't have web access atm) and come back with any follow up questions. TIA for any help,

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

Most likely a bad earth. Despite Haynes manuals normally only being useful for toilet paper, their wiring diagrams are one of the better sections of the manual.

If you're desperate for the diagrams, I might be able to scan/email the relevant diagrams to you.

Reply to
M Cuthill

M Cuthill wrote:

Thanks, will report that to friend, although I'm sure he was aware of that and was checking earth connections.

Probably about time we got one of those because given the age/mileage of the car little problems are occuring more frequently these days.

That's very kind, thank you. I think we might be desperate at this stage! My friend was suggesting I look on the web (no luck so far) for diagrams of the wiring behind the dials etc of the dashboard and also of the fuel sensor area (although we don't think there is anything wrong there other than the power supply to it) I don't know how much the diagrams cover or how many diagrams would be necessary, not having ever seen one! Please would you have a look and see if you think you can work out which *are* the relevant diagrams? :-) If you, or anyone else, prefers to email, snipped-for-privacy@andthis.tiscali.fr

Thanks again,

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

Update, found something, it means very little to me but I will ask my friend if it will help:

Will report back if any luck!

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

That's the genuine Peugeot diagrams. The haynes ones are a bit clearer. If you still want them let me know, and I'll dig the manual out.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Hi, friend agrees that Haynes ones are likely to be clearer. If it's not too much trouble, yes please would you send whatever there is that you think relevant? I have a slow dial-up connection here so would be very grateful if you could keep the file size down to the minimum that is likely to be readable. Email address in previous post. Thanks again!

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

As I said, we found this:

At the top of one of the diags, just right of centre, is a bit with 4315 written below it. We think this might be the site of the problem. Does anyone know where on the car it is please, before we consider dismantling everything to try to find it!

X posted also to uk diy just in case anyone there can help

TIA again

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

Sorry about the delay, but the 306 manual seems to of went missing, and I don't think 205, 305, 309 or 405 wiring diagrams will be suitable :-/

Without seeing the Techinal Codes for the wiring diagrams, I'd guess that

4315 is the fuel level sensor. The green/yellow wire M121 goes to an earth point MC66, and the other wire 121 through connector 1C96B (the dotted bit below means that what is shown on the diagram is only an extract, ie. there are more wires in that connector), into the next loom, and through connector 1C01E, then finally into component BH12. And I have no idea what BH12 is.

However going by the dotted line on 4315, there are further connections, as the fuel level sensor also had the low fuel level light switch built in aswell, so you may only be seeing part of the required diagram.

I'm off to see if I can find the 306 manual, to see if I can figure these things out.

moray

Reply to
M Cuthill