S10 A/C question

1996 S10 pickup 4.3L engine. Last year the A/C would occasionally cut out. Wait a minute and it would again blow cool air. Didn't think much of it until this year, when the A/C
is dead 100% of the time. It appears that the A/C clutch is not kicking in. I have checked : the relay (good) and the A/C request input signal to the VCM (good). Removing the relay and jumpering the contacts causes clutch to activate (power is on). My question has to do with something called the compresser delay relay. Where does it enter the picture? My service manual mentions it but I cannot find it on the wiring diagram. Does it fit somewhere between the VCM A/C output and the Clutch relay? I am down to 3 choices: the VCM A/C output is dead, the wire from the VCM A/C output to the clutch relay is open, or the Compressor delay relay is screwing things up. I can check the first 2 but how do I check the delay relay?

in.
the
You've forgotten the painfully obvious:
1) Low refrigerant 2) Crapped-out low pressure cutoff switch.
Doc

Doc is exactly right on both counts... Do you have access to either a scan tool or a set of gauges??? the cycling switch on that is screwed to the accumulator under the hood... give it a small tap with a small screwdriver and see if she fires up...

A/C
the
manual
3
up.
Thanks for the input. I found the problem - my brain. I remember very distinctly jumpering around the low pressure switch to see if the clutch would activate and it didn't. THat started me investigating other things. Went back yesterday and tried it again and of course now the clutch activates. Cause of problem is low pressure. Thanks for all the input.
Different question, maybe I should start a new thread. The pump relay in the ABS is bad. DOes anybody know how to connect an external relay to take its place? It seems absurd to spend $1000 for a new valve block just because a relay dies (who's brainy idea was that anyways?)

would
kicking
clutch
the
I bet the parts seller likes the brainy idea of selling 10 valve blocks instead of 10 $5 relays Rich B

the