Help!! 740 GLE distributor firing order

I have a 740 GLE that i just changed the plugs and wires on. While doing it i was distracted by talking to my neighbor and like an idiot i pulled off all of the wires without noting the proper location of each wire on the distributor cap. I know that the firing order is 1-3-4-2 but i don't know how what ports on the distributor cap correspond with what number. The cap is not a typical round one, it faces the passenger compartment and the ports all come off of the side that faces up and are arranged in a row rather than in a circle. I also know that the cylinders are numbered

1-4 starting with the one closest to the fan. Does anyone have one of these that could tell me the order that the wires come out of the distributor? My Haynes repair manual is useless in this respect. Please help to save me from my own stupidity!
Reply to
Jesse

I am sure someone will assist you shortly, but for situations like this I keep a bottle of liquid paper in the garage (the pen type with the wetal applicator works best). It makes it really easy to mark these sorts of things- one dot for the first wire, two for the second, etc. Did the same thing when replacing the vac lines on the '83 Blazer (what a nightmare that was!). TIP: for tall cars like that, let the air out of the front tires to bmake it easier to get into the engine compartment. HINT#2- make sure you have a compressor first. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Order In Cap From right to left looking at the cap

4132 Glenn
Reply to
G Klein

I did the same thing, ended up pulling the cap off and looking at the inside, you can see the ridges where the wires run from the contact points to the plug sockets.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the replies. I thought about pulling off the distributor, then realized i didn't have a small 1/4 drive socket set that would get into the tight space. I ended up searching the internet and found a site that listed the order. it is 4-3-1-2 from L to R. I had originally tried 4-2-1-3 because that is what one book said. 2 out of

4 isn't bad right:) ? Won't make that mistake again...
Reply to
Jesse