1998 Escort A/C Question

Hello All,

98 Escort (2.0) ....

A/C stopped blowing cold air. Blower, defroster, cooling fan, etc. are all working normally and the fuses are good. I noticed that the compressor clutch was not kicking in every time and now it has stopped completely. I took it in and sure enough, the R134 pressures on both sides are good but there is no power to the compressor clutch. Everything else on the car works well. I suspect the A/C relay switch. Can someone tell me where it is located on this car?

TIA, Pete

Reply to
Pete DiMarco

Pete DiMarco opined in news:cimqbq$abr$ snipped-for-privacy@daisy.noc.ucla.edu:

Took it in? Where?

If the clutch doesnt kick in, how do you know the pressures are good? What is the pressure?

Just check the LOW side! That's the larger line between the Firewall and compressor.

Is there ANY other problem with the car?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote

defroster,

the

it

good

clutch.

suspect

where it

the pressures are good? What is

between the Firewall and

Thanks for the response. I took it to Pep Boys to have it checked. I don't know what the pressures were, but they said it was fully charged and I had an electrical problem. It's a moot point now. I researched the problem online and found out that the CCRM on this car is a real problem child because of bad connections due to moisture intrusion. I read a post that said to reach in, grab the connector, shake the crap out of it and tap on the housing a few times. Real technical stuff, huh? Well, guess what! I did just that and within 30 seconds on a cold engine it felt like the North Pole in that car. Hopefully, that did the trick. If it keeps acting up, I know what needs replaced. Funny thing is, this CCRM controls other functions also and I have had no other problems. Seems the A/C relay connection in this unit is the first to go.

Pete

Reply to
Pete DiMarco