service tire monitor message - repair ?

i have a 2004 suburban with a built in tire monitor - i just changed wheels on it and now i get a "service tire monitor" message on my dashboard display - how can i stop that message from happening and how does that system work ?

thanks

Just talked to a former GM dealer tech... Now has his own service

station.... about GM front hub speed sensors & tire

pressure monitoring systems.....

If you change GM tire diameters over a period of a day.....

the speed sensor system thinks one of your tires is loosing pressure

based upon the history of tire revolutions counted 'against something'.

Reset guess..... Disconnect the battery ????

Once reset, the tire revolution count accommodates the new tire diameter.

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

What do you mean, "you changed wheels on it"? Did you put brand new rims on the vehicle, or did you just rotate the tires? Each rim has a radio transmitter built into the valve stem assembly. It transmits it's position to the vehicle's computer. If you move any of them to a different position, you need to relearn the positions of the sensors. There is a special tool, looks like a thick horseshoe shaped magnet, you turn the ignition on, press the lock and unlock buttons on your key fob and hold until the horn blows, then you start at the drivers side front wheel and hold the magnet around the valve stem until the horn blows. Working your way clockwise around the vehicle, you do the same thing to the other wheels. The horn will blow twice when you are complete.

As you probably don't have the special tool, expect to go into the dealership to have this reset procedure performed.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Sounds like he put new rims on without the valve stem sensors. OOPs.

Reply to
Steve W.

positions

horseshoe

Nice to know if you ran over something on the highway and are losing air. Ever seen what a tire does when it comes apart from being run with low air pressure? NOT pretty.

Reply to
Steve W.

I'm not sure about this, but I thought that this is one of those "safety" things that will eventually be legislated on all vehicles. From what I see of the average customer that is coming in so the service area of our dealership....the more bells and warning whistles...the better.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

i put on "aftermarket" wheels and tires -- how can i fix this phenomenon

As long as I live I will never own a truck that needs it's valve stems degaused. :) Why would anyone want to real-time monitor tire pressure?

Reply to
Battleax

phenomenon

Pull the valve stem/sensors out of the old rims and install them in the new rims is about the only way, that means breaking down all four tires and replacing the valve stem (if they will fit, they may not be standard size ) with the sensor units. Reinstall the tires and balance them and put them back on. Hope you kept the old rims. If not those sensors are probably not cheap.

Reply to
Steve W.

I believe it's turning these expensive vehicles into 7 year vehicles, after that they are trash and not worth fixing, at least in Canadian climate. I've studied much of the technology in all these components and it's all akward and forced. I'd be horrified to be surrounded by all this lame technology.

Reply to
Battleax

Not just the caps, the whole valve stem, the part that pokes through the hole in the wheel.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Put on the valve caps from the original wheels?

Reply to
Battleax

I actually do not disagree with you. I (and probably tons of other people) would be quite happy with a "no frills" car. I have no need for tire monitors, sensors to tell me my coolant is low, my wiper fluid is low...etc. But there are many stupid people out there that seem to need all this stuff.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The Stupid people your talking about, all the warning lights just doesn't matter. They are ignored! Hell had one car come to the shop about a month ago with no brake pedal, needed a master, but for some unknown reason the brake light on the dash was covered up! HEHE I'm scraping this tape off the dash wondering what the hell it was doing there and as I scrape away, there I start to see BRAKE (Lit up!). There are so many people that just ignore lights(Oh, I didn't see it), or the squealing their brakes have been doing for a while until there Vented rotor is missing half, and it's just cooling fins on one half. But to actually cover up a light you don't want to see, and a brake light at that, well one has to wonder.

Pers>

Reply to
JBDragon

Ya, there's a small box part at the end of that valve stem that you don't see that's inside the wheel. You just see the Minor part that stick out that you put the air into. You have to brake down all the old wheels, remove the sensors, and install them on all the new wheels. Sometimes though, they won't fit the new wheel, or you have to install them turned around so they're not as flat against the wheel, and in which case when you tire gets flat you end up braking that $100 sensor!

Reply to
JBDragon

so how do you disable the function and eliminate the error message on the dash ?