Smog Test

My 1988 S10 V6 is up for a smog test. A mechanic friend says I should fill it with high test gas so the engine will run hotter. He also said that adding octane booster will do the same. Is either true? I don't think I will have any problem since it has passed twice since a new cat and O2 sensor. Suggestions to tune it up too please.

Larry Miller

Your "mechanic" friend is an idiot.

Premium will not make it run hotter - Nor will octain booster -and running hotter is NOT going to help your '88 pass. Most likely failure on that beast will be high NOX - and NOX is worse when the engine runs hot.

New cat will LIKELY pass the NOX at normal operating temperature.

Reply to
clare

Your friend is no mechanic. that's some of the stupidest stuff I've heard. The other reply you got is right on.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Here is a dumb one for you, but it worked for me in Florida. I used to put Diesel duel modifier in the gas tank before emissions testing. Always worked for me. My2cents

Reply to
bilb2765

Since when does Florida do smog checks?

Reply to
Troy

How do you know your car wouldn't have passed without it?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

They stopped about 10 years ago.

Reply to
bilb2765

Because it failed the first time. They gave you 48 hours to get it fixed.

Reply to
bilb2765

What did they say failed?

Reply to
NotMe

There have been many reports of cars failing and the owners doing ZERO to them and coming back a hour to a week later and the car passes. If your sample size is 1 it may not be meaningful.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Fooohh, no idea now. I'm luck if I can remember two weeks ago..

Reply to
bilb2765