smoking from tailpipe

1990 1500 350/700 2000000miles,right rear plug fouls and heavy smoke at hard acceration. How do you check if its a ring or valve seal without tearing down the engine
Reply to
Racer-X

Ring is constant black smoke Valve is black smoke after a start, but not while running.

Or so I've been told. ~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Reply to
SIDESHOW

Reply to
"Doc"

Geeze, after 2 million miles, why is surprised at a bit of smoke......Lol Did the tranny do 2 million as well??

Reply to
Mr President.

Reply to
sidewinder

Well it's another case of you said exactly what I meant. I guess I was too lazy to type out when the engine sits, and the valves cool off for a little and allow oil to pass by. Then when you get on it, it will blow blue smoke (NO idea why I said black) until the valves heat up a bit and 'seal' up. Like the crop duster you used to drive when you delivered pizza. If I recall correctly.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

as some one already said...just do a compression test...or a leak down test.and just pull the valve cover, not much effort involved....

Reply to
_Al_

Hi!

Heh, heh...it's happened. I remember seeing a guy on TV who took his 1980 Toyota Starlet to the Letterman show because it was about to hit a million miles. Coolest darn thing I ever saw, all those numbers rolling over...and for TV these days, that's really saying something.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh