Leaky valve cover gasket creates smoke from engine compartment?

Hey, I was looking at buying an old 1991 Jeep Cherokee v6 4.0l; it's got

196k but was rebuilt 20k ago.

The car runs well, at least for right now. However, after driving the car for 10 minutes it starts to smoke from the engine compartment. The owner claims there is a new rear oil seal, do you think that a leaky valve cover gasket dripping onto the exhaust (or is it the intake?) manifold would be creating the smoke? I don't know if I trust myself to replace the gasket, how much would a shop charge to do it?

Thanks, Tim (TPayne(nospam)@ivwnet.com

Reply to
Tim Payne

It is a straight or inline 6 cylinder engine (or it is supposed to be) The factory/dealer method is to change the entire valve cover (VC). $$$

In your case you can remove the VC, clean out the old gasket material (rubber), clean both surfaces with brake clean and a cloth, and using RTV (Form A Gasket tube) apply even bead to VC. Then carefully reinstall VC onto engine and don't fully tighten bolts just snug them down a little until RTV sets.

Another gasket is cork, and they don't seem to seal for very long. :-(

Some wash the engine down first before attempting this VC gasket replacement! Makes for cleaner job! :-)

NOTE: I do recommend cleaning the flappers inside of the VC, altho they still should be good after the 20K rebuild. Also clean out the little vacuum line coming out of the VC.

Reply to
Dave

Let me guess...original valve cover? Replace the OEM plastic cover with an aluminum one. Not too difficult and makes all the difference. I just did my CJ this past weekend. ~$80 for the cover and gasket. Most difficult portion is tapping the holes in the head. Make sure you get the correct bottom tap.

Reply to
Chris Curtin

Will using the RTV without a plastic/cork gasket most likely seal the cover? Also, I've never done a gasket (though I've done a lot of work on my Jetta so I do know my stuff a bit) how much of the RTV is considered an "even bead"? Where should the RTV be placed on the cover (outside or inside the cover)?

Thanks, for all the help so far... Tim-

Reply to
Tim Payne

That sets off alarm bells ringing loud in my mind!

A rebuilt engine should not need a new rear seal or valve cover gasket at 20K! That implies sloppy work.

Maybe the valve cover, but a quick feel with your fingers on the bolts will tell you quick.

Also the fact that it starts smoking after 10 minutes suggests the owner would rather sell it than drive it or fix it.... Even though fixing it before selling it will add $500.00 to the asking price in my mind....

I would 'really' be making sure where the smoke was coming from! Lots of expensive things can start blowing smoke or oil like cracked heads and head gaskets...

I would take it to a mechanic for an engine check and once over. Could be money well spent.

Mike

Tim Payne wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

First, it's an I6, not a V6. There is a huge difference.

A leaky valve cover gasket could very well be the problem you are finding. Indeed, the valve cover gasket has been overlooked in favor of the much more difficult (and reliable) rear main seal.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland