Standard vs. Auto

I prefer a Standard Trans but in my searches they are very hard to come by.

How can you make an Automatic more dependable. How often should they be flushed, or can you get away with a fluid and filter change?

Are there any additive that will provide better longevity?

Or am I beating a dead horse and I should keep searching for a 5 Speed?

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

"Edmonton ChevGuy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@automotive-usenet.com...

The number one killer of any automatic from day one is heat. Even moderate overheat over long time periods will eat them. The type of use the vehicle gets makes a huge difference. Trailer towing, high perfromance use will require additional protecion if you want to extend the life. Proper cooling and the *proper* installation of an aftermarket cooler can result in an almost indefinite lifespan if fluid and maintenance procedures are followed.

Reply to
Augustus

I agree that HEAT is the number one enemy of an auto. Adding a cooler even if you are not towing is a good idea.

Also the one thing I do when I get a new used vehicle, is drop the trans pan, change the filter, and install a drain plug in the pan. Then about every 3rd engine oil change, I also drain the trans pan. I measure out the amount drained from the trans, and add the same amount of new back in. Keeps the fluid in good shape. Maybe somewhat extreme, but if you are concerned about an auto, this would keep the trans in good condition for a long time.

James

Reply to
James1549

There's not much you can do. Adding a extra cooler may help. Changing the fluid at least every 50K should help but today's fluids are pretty darn good unless you overheat them. My 89 still has the original Automatic at 175,000 miles. It generally got a fluid and filter every

30K.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thanks for all the great info guys!

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

Never had transmission problems with any vehicle I have owned. The last high miler I bought new in 88 (Dodge Dakota 4x4) and had 220K miles on it when I sold it. I had the transmission serviced every 40K and did have a tranny cooler installed almost the same day I drove it off the lot. Too bad the rest of the truck wasn't worth a damn after 220K miles. The engine did survive that milage with a timing gear/chain change and a water pump. Also changed the oil/filter every 3K.

I guess what I am saying is that keeping the tranny cool is paramount for trouble free service. And a filter/fluid change every 30-40K is also a good idea. The quality of the old fluid and any metal debris on the pan magnet can often tell a good mechanic something is wrong before it becomes a major repair or replacement.

Reply to
Meat Plow