steering wheel lose on 88 S15 Jimmy

"Repairman" wrote

Not really. I'd much rather work on a tilt column then the non-tilt columns. Much easier to work on.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

He had looked for it, but was unable to find it. He took a good week looking for it too - because he purchased both the puller & the slide hammer specifically for this job. Not saying it's the right way, just the way he did it.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

I have to replace the Wwiper switch in my 90 gmc 1/2 ton. I've been putting it off for almost a year now. Everything works except regular speed so I've gotten by with high-speed intermittent or full high-speed. I know it's the switch because I can feel the indent is not there any more.

I know I have to burrow heavily into the column and I believe the whole column has to be dropped slightly to feed the connector through. Maybe this summer, heh. B

Reply to
Battleax

That was an excellent link! Thanks. I will be pulling it back apart to do it right and fix my dimmer switch.

Now the only thing wrong with my steering is that the wheel has left and right play it in. In other words and I can turn it left and right before it starts turning the wheels. Its about 1-2 inch play in it. I assume it may be the pitman arm or something underneath wore out. Amazing what you notice after driving a new vehicle!

Reply to
cybercoaster

ahhh doing it right is for suckers, maaaaan! I like doing things twice or more ... especially not getting paid the extra times!

Reply to
Celica Dude

Yeah, if nothing else, the OP will get a nice lawn-decoration out of the experience.

Reply to
Celica Dude

it's now known as a "master ignition key"... get it straight! :oD

Reply to
Celica Dude

Oh come on... everyone in this group knows you do too! Don't lie about it!

LOL

Reply to
Celica Dude

LOL

Let me pause for a moment and soak up all the brotherly love!

Reply to
Celica Dude

Now I see the comment "only a thief would take one to a column".

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Check out the steering column coupler. Also called a "rag joint" I had a problem with excessive play in one on a 1988 GMC S-15 Jimmy. It is located at the steering gear box, where the shaft from the steering column bolts to it.

Other then that check your steering linkage. Especially the Idler Arm. They are bad for wearing out.

In some rare cases the steering gear box will have excessive play. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Yeah I was feeling lovely doing the column job, plus when I saw that he ripped the front seat mount right out of the floor pan I got even happier. Snapped the reinforcement bracket off underneath and pulled it right through the pan. Not rusted either, just pure poundage at work. I was my old truck that I sold to him, thought I saw tears in it's headlights..............

Reply to
Repairman

Man, I know how you feel.... I am the only one in my family who has any interest in working on cars. I just love fixing something for no thanks and only to have it torn up again..

Poor little truck .. :o(

Reply to
Celica Dude

Some people will never admit that their size plays a roll in vehical wear. I have a few friends in the over 350 pound range. Im heavy set, but they make me look slim.

Two out of the three never take their weight in to account when getting vehicals, the thrid does. Out of the two that do not, one owns a 93 Grand Am

4 door with a Quad 4. The other has a 92 Ford Aspire 2 door.

The Grand Am in the last 5 years has needed: 3 steering columns, 2 sets of strusts with springs, 2 drivers seats, 1 consuel, 1 shifter, 4 head gaskets, 2 driver side front A/control arms & 22 tires. Most of the tires are bought used. The columns have the same problems. Broken trun signal switches, broken off bolts. Quicker to just change the columns.

The Ford Aspire has needed 3 rounds of wheel barrings! It is currently sitting with a bad drivers side wheel barring & hub. It is so bad one of the studs pulled thru. Another one bent when I tired to losen a lug. The amount of camber change was sever enough to wear the drivers front tire out in less then 10 miles.

Both cars are used regularly to transport other people in the same weight range as the owners. Neither one does any preventitive mantaintance. Neither buys decent tires, or even checks tire load ranges. When a car has a cargo (including people) capasity of 600 pounds, and you regularly exceed it by 100 to 300 pounds (people plus gear). You ask for problems.

These are the sort of people who need Full Size SUV's, Vans, & Big old RWD cars. They won't buy them saying they use too much gas. If you were to look at the costs of replacement parts for their small cars, versus a larger vehical, which could take the abuse, you would see they have no business driving what they do. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

The only reason I would say that "small cars" are a good thing is that they have crush zones. That way my 1990 GMC FS Jimmy doesn't need to have 'em, cuz you got 'em.

~KJ/TLGM

mantaintance.

Reply to
KJ