CJ Steering Gear Adjustment to Remove Steering Wheel Free Play

I have the Haynes manual and see where it describes replacing the steering gear but I find no instructions for filling it with oil and adjusting it to remove free play from the steering wheel. I can remember doing this before but I can not remember how I knew what to do - I guess another Jeeper must have told me. Anyway I have too much play in the steering wheel that I hope I can adjust out without having to replace anything so I ask how to do this.

Reply to
MStevens003

I forgot to say my Jeep is a 1981 CJ5

Reply to
MStevens003

LOL!

Manual or power...

I don't think it matters though. The adjustment plug is on the end the steering column goes in. You loosen off the large lock nut, then turn the plug via the slots until it bottoms out, then back it off 1/8" in rotation and snug up the lock nut.

There is another adjustment up top with a nut and a screw, but this is the gear preload, not an adjustment per say. If you tighten this like some folks think it should, it will make the steering tighter, just before it cooks the steering box.... To set this up, the box has to be in a vise, it can't be done on the vehicle. Well.. it 'can', but the pinion movement is in inch lb so it is pretty much impossible to do hooked up.

I have the PDF file on doing the Saganaw power steering box if you would like it.

For slop, also check the u-joints on the steering shaft just under the brake Master.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I forgot to say my Jeep is a 1981 CJ5
Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi Mike:

I have replaced all the U joints; the slop is in the steering gear. I'm real happy you replied because I had done exactly what you said not to do and cranked dowm the preload!

No power steering. Did you notice there is nothing in Hanes about this? I'll look for that adjustment plug. Also I think my box has leaked out all it's oil and I don't see a filler hole. Maybe you use the preload hole? And having messed with the preload can I reset it? I'm not going to drop the gear from the frame right now.

Is the great white north warming up yet? If you believe it its 5:11 pm here and I'm typing this in my swim shorts and the thermometer is saying 81 deg F.

Michael

Reply to
MStevens003