studs on rear of 89 chev. p/u

I need to replace the wheel studs on the right rear of my sons 89 chev p/u. Will I have to pull the axle and if so does it pop out or will I have to more ?

Reply to
dpt58

You should be able to pop them out with just the drum off, rotating the axle to a high clearance area.

Question: Why do they need to be replaced? Should you be replacing the studs on the other side too? Also, don't use the old nuts with the new studs.

p/u. Will I have to pull the axle and if so does it pop out or will I have to more ?

Reply to
Shades

Will I have to pull the axle and if so does it pop out or will I have to more ?

Hit the Studs with a Hammer and drive them inwards.. Make sure u turn the Axle So as to Not Damage any parts ,( Wheel Cyclinder).

To Reassemble.. put new stud in the hole, Use your LUG nut to Pull it into place, U may need to use Some WASHERS as spacers.. Also The Flat side of the lug nut Should Face toward you so as Not to be Facing the WASHERS

Drive Vehicle 1000 ft Retighten lug nuts.. Then retighten again on your first trip with the vehicle

Reply to
somebody

Will I have to pull the axle and if so does it pop out or will I have to more ?

======= ======= somebody wrote:

========== ==========

Correction....

if using washers to seat the new studs....... the flat side of the lugnut should be facing the washer.

fact....not fiction

respectfully submitted as a correction to BAD advice

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his coffee.....hmmm....maybe i shudda notta oughtta highlighted the word bad.......hmmm...naw..it needed it~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Will I have to pull the axle and if so does it pop out or will I have to more ?

I cannot Believe I That I actually advised it. Knowing that the Flat side must Face the Washers or the Axle Must have been a SENIOR MOMENT

Reply to
somebody

======== ========

by reading posts that you reply to i knew that you knew what you knew and to do what you referred to so's alls well, you correct me with my poo poo and i'll keep yer scenility straight and on the true.

~brain fart~

respectfully, from one ole fart to another

~:~ Marsh ~pours of cup fer somebody......and looks in the mirror at his gray hair~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

can I add just a small bit more? Three washers work better, all three liberally coated with grease act as a bearing. Lightly grease the shoulder of the stud and make sure the washers are large enough, i.e. not only the threaded part but the shoulder of the stud. Its soo embarrassing to have the washers get pressed on the studs

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Good advice to add.

while we're sell'n the add-ons.......

a couple extry lug-nuts would be a good investment too.

Cuz we don't want him coming back in here and cus'n us cuz we didn't pre-warn him that he was going to booger at least one, and likely more, during the process of pulling that really tight fitting stud down to seat it.

I guess he could take one nut off of the other 3 wheels till he made it to the ole AutoZoned out store......

yeah....let's not tell him.

~:~ marshmonster ~takes a swig......mmmm.....good shine~

Reply to
Marsh Monster