Suburban towing question.

I own a 2002 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab Prerunner pickup truck with a V6, and I have a 17' Mako boat with a Honda 90hp 4 stroke outboard, the Hull weighs 1200lbs, and the outboard 385lbs, So I guess the whole package with trailer is in the 2400-2600 lb range loaded. I recently took it on a 400 mile trip to the Florida Keys over flat Florida terrain, with a bed full of camping gear and 4 adults, and witnessed HORRIBLE performance. The truck pulled ok, but with OD turned off, and holding about 65mph, I averaged 10.5MPG. I had friends with bigger trucks, and bigger boats do better. As a matter of fact, my good friend pulled a 25ft boat with twin engines behind a Diesel F250 and got WAY better mileage. So I figured the Toyota has to go.

I am buying a 2000 Chevy Suburban LT tomorrow. It has a 5.3, and my question would be. Do I want to put an auxiliary transmission cooler on it, or is factory cooling fine for the type of load I am pulling? It looks to have a tow package, it was owned by a Soccer Mom, who really had no need for the great big heavy duty hitch that is on it.

Jerry

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Suburban towing question. Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Mon, Apr 2, 2007, 4:32pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jerryeveretts) I own a 2002 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab Prerunner pickup truck with a V6, and I have a 17' Mako boat with a Honda 90hp 4 stroke outboard, the Hull weighs 1200lbs, and the outboard 385lbs, So I guess the whole package with trailer is in the 2400-2600 lb range loaded. I recently took it on a 400 mile trip to the Florida Keys over flat Florida terrain, with a bed full of camping gear and 4 adults, and witnessed HORRIBLE performance. The truck pulled ok, but with OD turned off, and holding about 65mph, I averaged 10.5MPG. I had friends with bigger trucks, and bigger boats do better. As a matter of fact, my good friend pulled a 25ft boat with twin engines behind a Diesel F250 and got WAY better mileage. So I figured the Toyota has to go. I am buying a 2000 Chevy Suburban LT tomorrow. It has a 5.3, and my question would be. Do I want to put an auxiliary transmission cooler on it, or is factory cooling fine for the type of load I am pulling? It looks to have a tow package, it was owned by a Soccer Mom, who really had no need for the great big heavy duty hitch that is on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Jerry

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I haven't done much towing lately but I do drive a 'Burb with an auxiliary transmission cooler (I installed it myself). If you do any towing with any vehicle, you should have an auxilliary transmission cooler installed. If you depend on the in-radiator transmission cooler only, you're asking for trouble. Do they really work? Well, I put mine on at 134,000 miles and the clock now reads 204,000; no transmission problems to date (on a 700R4).

/?/?/?/?/?/?/?/?/?/?@@@@@@@@@@?/?/?/?/?/?/?/?/ You should never confuse the issue by injecting the truth. ~ unknown ~

Reply to
James Fedorawicz

First off you do not tow in overdrive, second you have a V6. The bigger truck with bigger boats towed better probaly due to different and more powerful powerplants and gear ratio's. Get a Suburban that has a built in tow package, then you should have a built in tranny cooler if not engine oil cooler. Your load is not that much for the either truck you simply are desiring more power. Dont expect better mileage when pulling the same load with your new truck.

Reply to
mudmonkey

I never tow in OD, thats why I specified that I had it off. The Toyota seems very underpowered, when not towing, and on the highway at around

75mph, it down shifts from overdrive when going up overpasses...

I am not necessarily hoping for better gas mileage, but more speed. I would be happy if I can load the suburban with the same gear and load, and cruise at 70 or 75 getting the same 10.5 mph.

After all... the gauge wont move quite so fast on a 42 gallon tank as it does on a 18 gallon tank :)

Any weak spots I should look for on this truck or is it pretty much bulletproof?

Reply to
jerryeveretts

I know of windshield wiper problems on that and older series's. the circut board is not soldered properly.

Reply to
mudmonkey

Well, I own that baby. Ill be picking it up today.

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Well, you're comparing apples to oranges. Though the 'burb will tow, you are talking about a buddy with a diesel. Diesels will ALWAYS get better tow mileage than gas burners.

Unfortunately, you will have a really hard time finding a diesel suburban. I drove one the other day and almost took it home. (Supposedly they're coming out in '09 or '10.)

In any case, your mileage will differ but simply because you're driving a V8 vs. a V6. The torque on the 5.3 is around 350 lbs/ft AFAIK.

It also depends on how fast you're driving. While towing you should be at

55MPH. At least that's how I try and keep it. Yeah, I'll fly down the freeway at 80+ when normal, but when towing I stay slow. Better to get there than not.
Reply to
PerfectReign