Temperature Trouble

My '98 K 1500 recently started bouncing the temperature gauge. Every 2 miles or so it would heat up to 210, then drop to 160. I had a water pump weep hole seeping, so I put a new water pump, lower hose, bypass hoses, thermostat, and coolant sensor in last Saturday. Now, the temp bounces from 195 to 160 every couple of miles. Last May I had the intake manifold gasket replaced, and switched back to green antifreeze.

Any advice? Thanks, Lisa

Reply to
Pv066

Lisa,

First step is to burp the system and get rid of any air that may be there (this is usually what causes the bouncing temp gauge syndrome. Easiest way to do this is to buy a Stant Lev-R cap (or any other venting rad cap), run her up to operating temperature, purging the system via the release lever to the expansion tank every 5 minutes or so. Make sure heater controls are set to max heat, and that you continue to burp after the t-stat has opened. Watch the expansion tank for bubbles each and every time you burp her.

If there was air in the system, it's now gone and the problem may be solved. If the problem persists, and you get more air within a few days, you have a small leak somewhere that is allowing air to enter the system as it cools.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks - I will give that a try once it quits raining - I know there is air in the system as I have topped of the antifreeze in the radiator 3 times this week.

Reply to
Pv066

Uh oh................is the expansion tank full? If so, there should be no need to top off the rad as it will draw coolant in from the expansion tank, in which case it's the expansion tank that needs to be topped off. Is this just a matter of semantics or are you physically adding coolant to the rad?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

check your oil too... if it looks like tea that's bad.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Adding to the radiator - the expansion tank does have plenty of antifreeze. I did notice during all this that the hose from the expansion tank where it attaches to the radiator isn't tight - one of those plastic snap things instead of a real clamp - maybe it is drawing air in there.

Reply to
Pv066