Thermostat trouble

I have a 98 4.0l Explorer Sport, I've had 3 thermostat's go bad. I had the last one replaced by the dealership along with a sensor and some melted tubing. What prompted me to pull over was the check engine light even though the temp gauge read normal (midpoint) A month after it was replaced I felt the top and bottom hoses and they were only warm after driving 15 miles to work (the engine was hot, I live in Florida). Temp gauge read normal so I know not to trust it.

I took the thermostat out, now the hoses are hot as I would expect. I don't like the idea of running without the thermostat but I don't want to lock up my engine either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Tech5656

mb99usa

I had 2 (94 V6) stick open. Stant seems to last longer berfore failing than FoMoCO, IMHO. Yes, it is possible to install upside down.

Reply to
S.P.

My experience with the Stant was the same - it lasted much longer than OEM.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

"Mike Iglesias" : I had 2 (94 V6) stick open. Stant seems to last longer berfore failing than FoMoCO, IMHO. Yes, it is possible to install upside down.

My experience with the Stant was the same - it lasted much longer than OEM.

I asked the service advisor at the dealership to have the mechanic check the direction of the thermostat. If memory serves correct the spring went into the housing towards the block. The first thermostat was Ford as it was original 2nd was aftermarket and this last one that went bad was a Ford thermostat. Thanks for the input

Reply to
Tech5656